Lift Exterior Corner To Repair Frame - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By jhighland
  • 1 Post By huesmann
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 08-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Lift exterior corner to repair frame

We have an exterior corner that has had water damage that rotted about 36" of the plate of the wall frame (on the gable wall), about 2" of one of the studs, and a 36"x30" area of the OSB subfloor. What I'm trying to figure out is how best to raise/support that corner enough to make the repairs (specifically, how best to position the support).

Also, can I just cut out the rotted portion of the stud, replace it with a good piece, and then sister something like an 18" piece? Or is it required to sister a full-length stud since it is an exterior wall.

Below are some pictures of the problem area. Thank you for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Lift exterior corner to repair frame-20200809_085227.jpg   Lift exterior corner to repair frame-20200809_084824.jpg   Lift exterior corner to repair frame-20200809_085113.jpg  
jhighland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,870

Re: Lift exterior corner to repair frame

#1, First I'd be figuring out from the outside why this happened.
What type siding is on the outside?
Can you please post a picture of the outside in that area?
With that much damage likely the sheathing is also toast.
There should be no reason to lift anything since it's on a gabled wall.
First I'd be cutting out that sheet rock at least 4-1/2" up from the sub floor using a long level so I had a straight level cut.
(It's no harder to repair a bigger opening, sheetrock should be sitting 1/2" up off the subflooring, by making it 4' wide you only need to make a single cut in the rock and there will be a tapered edge at the top of the piece.)
Cutting out the insulation that's going to have to be replaced anyway.
If it's vinyl siding I'd remove at least the 4 bottom pieces, starter strip and any house wrap to inspect for damage and so I could use a cat's paw and remove any nails in the studs and bottom plate.
Cutting out any damaged sheathing making sure the cut falls in the middle of the stud that's not rotten and 4 ' up from the bottom of the sheathing.
It will be far easier to work on if all this stuff is out of your way.
Now you can measure up from the top of the bottom plate 12", mark the studs for the cross cuts, make a cut along side of the left hand stud that's still good using the stud as your saw guide .
Pull out any nails in the bottom plate.
Now cut the studs.
The short studs and bottom plate should come out as one piece.
Cut out and replace the rotted sub flooring, it's easyier to cut it out along side of the floor joist and just add a piece of 2 X 4 as blocking to attach the new sub flooring to.
The cut along that wall on the right would be best done with a Toe Kick saw so the cut was even with the wall.
Once the sub floors out I'd adding 2 X 6's laying flat that is installed so it extened under the wall to cover the gap.
Install new bottom plate, add the short 2 X 4's then sister with at least 2' long 2 X 4's.
Fix'n it likes this.
jhighland (08-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #3

Thank you for the detailed reply - that was very helpful!

The vinyl siding on the outside is not damaged at all. We stopped getting dampness in that area when we had the windows replaced about four years ago (we just didn't realize how bad it was). We believe the water was running down the framing from the windows - but to your point, we can't say for sure that there was no damage to the outside portion of the wall.

Quote:
Now you can measure up from the top of the bottom plate 12", mark the studs for the cross cuts, make a cut along side of the left hand stud that's still good using the stud as your saw guide .

Not sure I follow you on this. What do you mean by "make a cut along side of the left hand stud that's still good using the stud as your saw guide?" What exactly am I cutting - the stud or the bottom plate? If I'm cutting the stud, what is the purpose of cutting the good stud?

Thanks again - this is seeming much more manageable than just a couple hours ago!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 576

Have you checked the condition of the joists below?
I don't see a window that would have been a problem there?
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #5

Joists below aren't even water stained (at least not on the side I can see). There are two windows above the bay window (just to the right in the first picture). The rot on the OSB hasn't gone all the way through either.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhighland View Post
Joists below aren't even water stained (at least not on the side I can see). There are two windows above the bay window (just to the right in the first picture). The rot on the OSB hasn't gone all the way through either.
So water came in the window and travelled 6 ft around the 2 corners before it did any damage.

I think you have to open up more to see where it is coming from, I would not be suspecting the windows from there. A closer inspection of the siding corner or what ever on the outside would be in order.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
So water came in the window and travelled 6 ft around the 2 corners before it did any damage.

No. We had to have the whole bay window structure replaced a couple years prior to the windows being replaced. At that point in time, the water was pooling in the ceiling area above the bay window and little, if any, water would make it down to that corner. After that was fixed it was only occasionally that the corner would get enough water that we could notice; we never were able to determine if it was volume, wind direction, or whatever that the water would get in. Regardless, the structure of the new bay window presumably changed the water flow and allowed it to route down to the corner.

After the windows were replaced a few years later, we haven't noticed any water in that corner. I"m not going to say there has been none, but not enough to feel through the carpet and padding.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
No. We had to have the whole bay window structure replaced a couple years prior to the windows being replaced. At that point in time, the water was pooling in the ceiling area above the bay window and little, if any, water would make it down to that corner. After that was fixed it was only occasionally that the corner would get enough water that we could notice; we never were able to determine if it was volume, wind direction, or whatever that the water would get in. Regardless, the structure of the new bay window presumably changed the water flow and allowed it to route down to the corner.

After the windows were replaced a few years later, we haven't noticed any water in that corner. I"m not going to say there has been none, but not enough to feel through the carpet and padding.
I would remove the bottom foot of drywall from both walls over that soft floor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
jhighland (08-12-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #9

I can do that. I haven't so far since it is not soft or crumbly (on the surface or the bottom edge), and there is only only about 5" that has light water staining that only goes up about 3/4" max. I figured that was due to contact with the carpet.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
First I'd be cutting out that sheet rock at least 4-1/2" up from the sub floor using a long level so I had a straight level cut.
Just to clarify here, presumably you mean 4' 1/2", or 48.5 inches, not the 4.5 inches you wrote.
Nealtw likes this.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,870

Opps my bad, yes it should have been 48.5.
You cut out the bottom plate using the good stud as your guide.
The will leave you with 1-1/2" sticking out beyond the stud.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #12

joecaption and Nealtw - thank you both for the guidance and advice.

I wasn't able to completely take off the outside siding, but I did lift a couple pieces to check the sheathing underneath - no water or rot that I could see (it was that asphalt impregnated stuff - which I wouldn't mind replacing in that section some other time).

I did cut off a section of the drywall on the right side of the corner. No damage there.

So, base plate and subfloor replacement complete. Now to tackle the drywall!
Attached Thumbnails
Lift exterior corner to repair frame-20200812_140526.jpg  
Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
joecaption and Nealtw - thank you both for the guidance and advice.

I wasn't able to completely take off the outside siding, but I did lift a couple pieces to check the sheathing underneath - no water or rot that I could see (it was that asphalt impregnated stuff - which I wouldn't mind replacing in that section some other time).

I did cut off a section of the drywall on the right side of the corner. No damage there.

So, base plate and subfloor replacement complete. Now to tackle the drywall!
Looks better, put a snug block under that cut stud, doesn't have to be nailed but will make sure you have solid support.
jhighland likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement