Level Issues With Ceramic Tile - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #1

Level issues with Ceramic Tile

I am getting ready to apply the hardibacker board to the floor prior to mortar/grout/tile and realized the plank subfloor on the right side of the picture is 1/4" lower than the rest of the floor. I was thinking about laying down SLC to level out the floor (vacuum, sponge, then mix/pour) afterwards I would apply thinset, then the backer board. Fasteners would be pre-drilled and then applied to reduce damage to SLC.

Subfloor is 2x6 planking on the sides and 23/32" plywood in the center. Joists are 2x8's and are irregular underneath this area due to plumbing (average is 8" on center here going from top to bottom of the picture) pulling out the planking is past the point of feasible at this point as well (requires restructuring the entire wares of the house due to joist locations.

Would you recommend SLC then thinset, then Hardibacker Board?
Attached Thumbnails
Level issues with Ceramic Tile-img_1692_1488032866292.jpg  
Gi49336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,514

Re: Level issues with Ceramic Tile

are you saying it is 1/4 out of level from side to side or there is just one plank that is lower?

If just the one plank, just add 1/4ply on top to bring it up level with the rest..
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #3

It's all the planks on the left that are 1/4" below the plywood
Gi49336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,472

Use thinset to level the backer boards. I would wet the boards first but better would be redguard on the boards, thinset and level the backers with 4' level.
Your toilet flange is going to be low. You can raise it with repair flange and wax in between. If you want to use 2 rings of wax, get your height and remove enough wax so you don't have too much squeeze out.
I don't see the water for the toilet?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,514

So you have planks and some parts of them have 1/4 plywood on top and the rest don't..

Why not just put 1/4 ply on the planks that don't already it?

That would fix this that problem.. what is the total thickness of the planks? You might want to look around for preferred subfloors for ceramic..
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Are you sure it's a constant " diff, or does it vary? This looks like the perfect candidate for a mud-job. But........

If it's constant, do as suggested to make the floor flat, then install a layer of min. ⅜" ply, or if the floor is not yet perfect, use " instead. Then install that " Wonderboard you have. Don't forget the thinset under the cbu and also thinset/tape the seams.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement