LED In Concrete Pour Step - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

LED in Concrete Pour Step


I have a LED step light that mounts in a standard single gang electrical box 2 3/4" x 4 1/2". All the boxes I have found are not specifically listed for use in concrete pour. Does anyone know of a box (cast or plastic) that has this rating. UL labs post that aluminum alloy boxes are not protected unless protected by asphalt paint or equivalent. I would not like to go that way if possible.
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 6,668
Rewards Points: 996
Default


i would use a plastic box with plastic conduit. all sealed with caulk. and tape the opening where it meets the form. care needs to be taken so concrete doesn't leak in.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
Redneck Russell (09-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 7,551
Rewards Points: 6,290
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
I have a LED step light that mounts in a standard single gang electrical box 2 3/4" x 4 1/2". All the boxes I have found are not specifically listed for use in concrete pour. Does anyone know of a box (cast or plastic) that has this rating. UL labs post that aluminum alloy boxes are not protected unless protected by asphalt paint or equivalent. I would not like to go that way if possible.
how about a single gang masonry box:

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Redneck Russell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 16
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i would use a plastic box with plastic conduit. all sealed with caulk. and tape the opening where it meets the form. care needs to be taken so concrete doesn't leak in.

The plastic box would be great seeing it wouldn't have rusting issues later.
Redneck Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Wink


Thanks for the good ideas. The masonary box is not allowed under code due to the concrete being in direct contact with earth. It would have to be a cast iron. The plastic will work and I did find a Carlon box that is rated for concrete pour Type FSS. The suggestion to tape the box at the form is great. Thanks again!
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 7,551
Rewards Points: 6,290
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
The masonary box is not allowed under code due to the concrete being in direct contact with earth. It would have to be a cast iron.
I presumed you were in a place where the NEC was applicable. Sorry. Under the NEC we can use stamped steel boxes in concrete as long as they are rated for the use. Dang, if everything had to be cast I could never have put in the thousands upon thousands of feet of Walkerduct I have put in concrete floors.

here is an example of a concrete rated floor box



I guess that would not be allowed where you are.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i would use a plastic box with plastic conduit. all sealed with caulk. and tape the opening where it meets the form. care needs to be taken so concrete doesn't leak in.
Thanks for the response!
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default


On the posting of the concrete box and Walker Duct it is true they both can be installed in a concrete pour but not in a ground floor slab that is in direct contact with earth. I too have installed many of these in a concrete pour in multi-floor buildings. (National Electric Code) It seems I have found an application that is not very common as most LED and other step lights are sold with a cast box that fits the fixture but is not the exact same size as a standard 1-G electrical box with standard mounting screws! LOL!
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 7,551
Rewards Points: 6,290
Default


Quote:
dapperdan;2514697]On the posting of the concrete box and Walker Duct it is true they both can be installed in a concrete pour but not in a ground floor slab that is in direct contact with earth.
what code section are you referring to for this.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concrete step repair roboken Concrete, Stone & Masonry 6 04-19-2015 10:54 AM
how to pour concrete into a hole tcabaco Concrete, Stone & Masonry 10 03-25-2015 11:40 AM
Pour new concrete over garage entrance dip Tonyski54 Concrete, Stone & Masonry 5 01-22-2015 10:14 AM
To pour concrete ove asphalt or not to pour concrete over asphalt. murph2255 Concrete, Stone & Masonry 15 03-10-2013 07:25 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts