Which Layout Would You Go With? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 01-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 78

Which layout would you go with?

Which of the 2 proposed layouts (last 2 images) would you go with for upcoming remodeling? The first image is current layout. Splitting my hairs over this. Any feedback is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Which layout would you go with?-screen-shot-2019-01-08-11.04.45-pm.png   Which layout would you go with?-screen-shot-2019-01-08-11.05.07-pm.png   Which layout would you go with?-screen-shot-2019-01-08-11.16.27-pm.png  
davison0976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

Re: Which layout would you go with?

I like the first one with the kitchen in the center but I would steel another foot from the closet for the dinning room.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 01:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,102

Option 3 - I would leave the deck as-is and bump out next to it where you propose the new deck to be; I don't like the idea of using a deck or any of its parts or foundation as part of a house and why tear it down just to build a new one?
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,314

I'd keep the kitchen in the back, but with the larger footprint you have in another view. Scrap the formal dining room, and pull the family room to the front of the house. Between the kitchen and family room, set up an informal dining room/dinette.

I decided to expand my answer....You're going to want the kitchen just off the rear deck. The two go together most often. That's why you should keep the kitchen to the rear. The views should also be better off the kitchen, because people are standing versus sitting, especially with the island seating arrangement. In the summer, your deck and kitchen become a single large gathering area.

Formal dining rooms just don't get used. It's no longer common to put them in the prime front window area. An informal dining area between the kitchen and the family room will be far more functional and friendly.

Your family room would also be right off the front entry, and that is most inviting for arriving guests.

I'd also push the main master bedroom to the rear, and pull the master bath forward. The master bedroom could then have deck access. The deck would fill the whole area in the rear, instead of being divided like it is.

One other thing I noticed....are you forgetting a stairway somewhere?
BrownEyedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 AM   #5

I would also connect the master bath and master closet. You could have the bath on the other side of the closet, where the closet serves as a hallway between the 2, but that is inefficient unless the closet is very large. (not a big fan of this design.)

Otherwise, have the closet accessible from inside the bath.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 AM   #6

Thank you all for a very constructive feedback! Here are some of the constraints that I am dealing with based on the current (original plan). Hopefully this explains why I want to move the deck and why the house wall on the right has no windows. Also, I don't really want to mess with the load bearing wall, hence both proposed plans dance around that. The space between master bedroom and the deck I want to use for an a/c unit, and possibly a generator.

I personally like the first proposed layout more, but my wife wanted a window by the kitchen sink. That's how the second layout was born. But on the second layout I see a problem with smaller living room. It can be swapped with the dining area as was proposed by BrownEyedGuy (super comprehensive feedback & ideas, thank you!), but I don't see a good place for a TV since 2 walls have wide openings. Then, guest bedroom window facing the deck. I think it may be difficult to accommodate people who want to stay up longer on the deck and those who are tired and want to sleep.

I think adding a small sink to the island will solve a problem of not having a window by the main kitchen sink. Will update drawings over the next few days (spending too much time at work). Yes, indeed, I do have to add stairs in the hallway. The house is a raised ranch with 2 garage doors on the side of the house where the driveway is.
Attached Thumbnails
Which layout would you go with?-screen-shot-2019-01-10-12.41.34-am.png  

Last edited by davison0976; 01-10-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davison0976 View Post
I personally like the first proposed layout more, but my wife wanted a window by the kitchen sink.

I think adding a small sink to the island will solve a problem of not having a window by the main kitchen sink.
Unless you want this to be a bachelor pad, you'd better keep the kitchen in the back.

Taking a closer look at the kitchen, I'd move the frig to where you have the stove, and move the stove to the island. It makes the kitchen more functional. If there's a microwave currently over the stove, move that to where the frig was.

Actually, that island is large enough, you could still put a small sink in it too. Your wife would love that for her main food prep area. (I'm normally the cook, and I would love it.)

You do not want your A/C unit next to the deck. Bad! Move them both over to the far right wall that doesn't have windows. Also, having your deck stop 6 feet short of reaching the next wall is visually awkward.

Your load bearing wall between the living room and dining room is already open all the way to the right wall now. Leave it that way. Make the whole area front to rear open.

Last edited by BrownEyedGuy; 01-10-2019 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #8
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,826

Couple questions:
- what are your must haves (budget, dining, living thru remodel, etc)
- why 2 separate additions?
- why the offset on the larger addition?
- is it a simple gable roof?
- which way is south, and where are you located?
- does the deck have to be 16x12 with that bumpout?

Some generalities:

When you enter a house, you don't want to be in a closed-off vestibule-like area (#1) and when there is no immediate living room, you don't want to have to weave thru other rooms to get to the back family/kitchen (#1,2). Also, the family must have windows (#2). Only the dining isn't required to have them, as long as its part of a larger area with windows.

Unless you're a slab on grade, usually you don't put bathrooms on opposite sides of the house (you prob have a basement beam to cross on those front ones, and long runs = low ceiling) and don't take up the good views (m.bath has 3 prime walls, m.bed 0).

In this size house you try to group functions adjacent: bedrooms together, active together (kitchen/family/deck) and closets can be buffers, but try not to take up prime exterior walls.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,100

I'd go with option 1 without a doubt.

Couple "usage" opinions:

Having a narrow entryway "hall" sucks - you can't get people in the door, can't take and hang up their coats while they're in there. Also its a SOP rule that you'll have minimum 3-5 people standing in the entry way saying goodbye to leaving guests.

I do like having a bench in the entryway so your older guests can have a seat while they take off their shoes (also gives you a spot underneath to put wet shoes/boots when you come in, if that's a thing in your climate.)

Entry way closets are never, ever, big enough (I think it's a Murphy's Law rule or something.)

Option 1 has a great layout for entertaining. Having the dining room open out onto the deck is great. As is having the dining room open to the kitchen. As is having the kitchen open to the family room.

Option 1 also gives that "third" bedroom privacy even if folks are out on the deck while they're sleeping (party or whatever.)
davison0976 likes this.

Last edited by Mystriss; 01-10-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystriss For This Useful Post:
davison0976 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,299

Did the OP ever answer if he's using (part of) the deck foundation for the upper right addition?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,466

Information is absent that would be very important if we were building. Where is the car parked when it returns from the supermarket? Garage ? I'd rather not carry groceries farther than necessary to put them away and neither would the wife. Media / computer room location? Most used room just after the kitchen and half bath/toilet. Mechanical room HVAC etc.

The wife is correct that a kitchen sink needs a window.

But don't feel alone as you are normal in that emphasis is often placed on guest comfort while you are stuck with the layout 365 days/year.

If this were ours we would sell and build new.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 800

Here's another twist.

Kitchen in the back.
Dining room in the middle.
Family Room to the left of the Dining Room (don't have the walk through the FR with food to and from the DR).
Third bedroom in the front.

Result... both FR and Kitchen have ready access to the Deck, and you don;t have a "public area" deck access into a "private" bedroom.

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Did the OP ever answer if he's using (part of) the deck foundation for the upper right addition?

No, not using any part of existing deck foundation for the upper addition. In fact, current deck is on 5 posts with concrete footers and a ledger board at the house wall, i.e. not much of a foundation for an addition.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGuy View Post
Unless you want this to be a bachelor pad, you'd better keep the kitchen in the back.
But on a bright side I may learn how to cook.

Quote:
Taking a closer look at the kitchen, I'd move the frig to where you have the stove, and move the stove to the island. It makes the kitchen more functional. If there's a microwave currently over the stove, move that to where the frig was.
Yes, that's exactly what I also thought after reading one of your earlier post emphasizing importance of the views, and realizing that tall appliances should be moved away from "prime" location where windows can be placed.

Quote:
You do not want your A/C unit next to the deck. Bad! Move them both over to the far right wall that doesn't have windows.
Heard exactly the same thing from an architect I worked with just over a year ago.

Quote:
Your load bearing wall between the living room and dining room is already open all the way to the right wall now. Leave it that way. Make the whole area front to rear open.
True, however, there is a load bearing beam that spans the opening protruding downward from the ceiling 1 foot. It gives a logical separation of area, even of there is no full vertical wall.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Couple questions:
- what are your must haves (budget, dining, living thru remodel, etc)
- why 2 separate additions?
- why the offset on the larger addition?
- is it a simple gable roof?
- which way is south, and where are you located?
- does the deck have to be 16x12 with that bumpout?

Given the purchase price 6 years ago and how much done up properties of resultant size go for I wouldn't like to spend more than 150K on all of this. Ideally, would like to keep living in the house during the entire remodeling phase. Kitchen is important and can't be demolished until a new one is in place.

I want to have a deck in the middle for privacy, hence it makes sense to place it between the two additions. Deck would preferably have a roof over it. That's the main reason I am leaving a small gap between new master bathroom addition and the deck. Otherwise roof planes end up being too long, but I haven't clearly worked out that part yet.

Larger addition has an offset to keep things a little more interesting, as opposed to having a straight long wall without walls or windows. This does create a challenge for how to structure a roof over that part. Current roof is a gable on both left and right sides of the house.

As far as the bumpout on the deck, I was hoping to use that as a stairs landing zone without taking away any space from the 16x12 area.

The house is located in Northern NJ. Empty lots are impossible to come by, flood zones only if one becomes available and they go for close to 100K or more for less than 0.5 acre. I've been noticing people either remodel or knock down old houses completely and build a new one. They kill us with property taxes here too. Neighbors across the street demolished an old ranch and built a brand new traditional house 3,200 sq ft. Now their taxes are 33K per year. I am paying 10K on our current house and I wouldn't be surprised if it jumps to 15K after the proposed renovation.

Thank you for general points and making me aware that the family room may not be up to code on windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement