[ Laundry-living ] -- Simplest & Most Helpful Way To Sort Dirty And Clean Laundry In - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree12Likes

Old 06-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

[ laundry-living ] -- simplest & most helpful way to sort dirty and clean laundry in

[ laundry-living ] -- simplest & most helpful way to tell which is dirty and clean laundry when prepping to do laundry? without using any labels?
livingspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,244

Re: [ laundry-living ] -- simplest & most helpful way to sort dirty and clean laundry

You put this post under Remodeling. Can you give more information? It could be as complicated as arranging the washer, dryer & work shelves or as simple as smelling the laundry to see what is dirty.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 28

Re: [ laundry-living ] -- simplest & most helpful way to sort dirty and clean laundry

* where do you suggest i put this?

* it's remodelling the early process of how you do laundry
livingspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,764

I'm confused, maybe I misunderstand the question?? Dirty laundry gets put in the hamper and clean gets folded and put away.
Yodaman likes this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 251

Why do you have to sort dirty vs clean clothes when prepping to do laundry?

Just have at least one hamper and the rule for everyone is - only dirty DRY laundry goes there.

Don't put even slightly damp anything (sweaty clothes) in the hamper unless you do laundry everyday. Otherwise, clothes will get that stinky smell that sometimes doesn't wash off with one washing.

Freshly worn clothes (usually tops - shirts, undershirts) should be hang to air dry before being thrown in the dirty clothes hamper.

As to your question about not having to look at the care tags in connection with dirty and clean laundry - I assume you're asking regarding:
Dirty - so you can choose the water and dryer temps
Clean - so you know if you can iron it

If you've been observant about fabrics before, it's easy to tell cotton apart from other fabrics. I actually wash everything (except wool) in hot setting
and then sort when it comes to the drying part.

Cotton, cotton-polyester (lots of men's dress shirts) - I just dry all together in hot

acrylic, rayon, spandex, nylon, microfiber towels, fabrics that are mostly polyester, etc. - I hang to dry

Since most clothes will probably be cotton or cotton-polyester, you don't really have to look at the care tag of each clothing. Just do it for some clothes that you're sure are not cotton.

For example, Cubavera shirts definitely do not look like cotton shirts. They're rayon - sometimes pure rayon, sometimes mixed.

Many brands of dress shirts are not pure cotton.

You have to look at the labels but once you've done this a few times, you'll remember which is which.
So, next time, you'll know and you won't have to look at the label anymore. At the very least, you only have to look at the labels of some of the clothes just to confirm.

wool hats, gloves, etc - handwash

Since I generally wash clothes in hot water (because I use communal washers), I sort clothes into 5 groups:

1. Whites
2. Light colors
3. Dark colors (except heavy fabrics)
4. heavy fabrics - towels, pants
5. Reds (higher tendency to bleed than other colors)

I can mix in nylons, acrylics, etc (anything that people would usually wash in delicate setting or separately) because I have them in laundry net bags and bra bags when I do the wash. Having the "delicates" in laundry net bags makes it very easy to pick them out later for hang drying.
BigJim likes this.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,526

Its not elegant but functional and simple. All dirty clothes go into these bins. When the bin if full, its a load and time to wash them. They are sorted into darks, whites, towels, and delicate. After washing/drying they get put away. Simple!

The wife was just saying this morning that she was running out of socks, guess we know where they are.

[ laundry-living ] -- simplest & most helpful way to sort dirty and clean laundry in-laundry.jpg
BigJim, Druidia and Nik333 like this.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #7

Yodaman's system is excellent and how I would be doing it if I have the space for several bins.

OP, if you have young kids, the bins would have to be labeled and set on the floor.

In my case, I can keep jut 1 hamper and 2 temporary folding hampers to catch the overflow. I sort and do pre-stain treatment the night before laundry day. Then I bring everything down to the communal laundry room early in the morning (2 am so I can do laundry in peace). I use 6 washers simultaneously so I have to do my laundry stint just every 2 weeks.

But, if our condo allowed hook ups, I'd be doing it Yodaman's - wash when a bin (but I'll have larger bins) is full.

FYI, It helps (and less laundry prep time too) if you treat stains immediately when a person takes off clothing.
Yodaman likes this.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,504

My wife was doing laundry this AM and I mentioned the smelling method to determine if they needed to be laundered. I took it as a not only no but a He!! NO being she found me a wrench and head lamp so I could see to level the machine to stop the shaking out of balance syndrome on spin cycle.
Nik333 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Its not elegant but functional and simple. All dirty clothes go into these bins. When the bin if full, its a load and time to wash them. They are sorted into darks, whites, towels, and delicate. After washing/drying they get put away. Simple!

The wife was just saying this morning that she was running out of socks, guess we know where they are.

Attachment 391233
Again with the emphasis on smell. . .are the bins with dirty clothes, open?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
Again with the emphasis on smell. . .are the bins with dirty clothes, open?

There are lids that came with the totes. You can see them slid between the walls of the washer and dryer. They have pretty much been there since I installed the W & D 4 to 5 years ago. I was originally concerned about odor too, but it isn't a issue. Maybe the open tops let things air out and not stink like the closed lid hamper? But there is only the wife and I living here. We probably average one load of laundry per day, which is pretty easy to keep up with.
Nik333 likes this.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yodaman For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #11

Hampers with "dirty" clothes shouldn't smell or should only have a very faint sweat smell.

Clothes smell in hampers when people put worn clothes in them without airing them out. Your oil and sweat stay in the clothes, damp and festering. Some people even cram damp towels in hampers resulting in more of that wet dog smell.

How long you've been wearing the clothes also determine smelliness. Some people wear something for a day, take them off at the end of the day and cram it back in the closet (you'll notice closets, of people with this habit, smell like a thrift store). Then wear them again. Repeat closet cramming and wearing several times.

If you must rewear clothes, leave them out to air. Never put back in closets.

I have a senior in law who crams wet face towels in my hamper because she's used to having a maid who empties their hamper daily and wash their clothes. Argh. It took quite a while for the in law to learn new rules. My elderly in laws are also very frugal so they do that rewearing and putting back in closet thing. Their clothes are
smelly. I find rewearing clothes doesn't save water and electricity at all because I have to wash their clothes
more than once and/or wash with sodium percarbonate to get rid of the thrift store smell.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,764

While we occasionally put damp items in the hamper I've never noticed an odor issue BUT if I come in with wet nasty clothes they usually get set on the back porch until they dry and then go into the hamper .... unless we are prepared to wash them right then.
Druidia and SeniorSitizen like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #13

It depends on the sense of smell, also. I've known quite a few guys who can't smell mildew on their T-shirts. A good sense of smell can be a curse. I can identify Marlboro or Camel from 10 feet away.

Druidia, where do you hang the dirty clothes to dry out, first? When I spill something, I grab the nearest absorbent fabric & mop it up. That, I have to soak.

Ideally, I'd like to have an entryway in which to take off dirty clothes & shoes, & wash the bottom of garden/work shoes, before entering main house. That's more common on the East coast, I think. A service porch with a hopper.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #14

Off topic but I got reminded of it because I wrote "wet do smell". Ha ha

I went to New Zealand last year. Ventless dryers and hang drying (inside) are as popular there as they are in the UK. It's also very humid (in Auckland). To save electricity, my friend would just partially dry clothes in the dryer then hang them to dry. It takes several days for a towel to dry unlike here, in Chicago, where a spin-dried thick towel can air dry inside in less than a day. My friend's towels all smelled like a dirty wet rag.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #15

@Nikki : I have a lot of hooks in the bathroom. Two hooks (one for me, one for hubby) are reserved for airing out (before cramming in hamper) worn tops. Bottoms (pants) don't get aired out since our legs don't get sweaty. When I wake up in the morning, I pull off the aired out tips and put them in the hamper.

I also have lots of hanging hooks (actually coat hooks) in the bedroom. Sometimes I wear a top for just a few hours. I hang it on a hook and rewear it the next day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement