Large Indoor Planter Box In Middle Of Room - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Large indoor planter box in middle of room

Hello. First time posting so i'm not sure if this is the place to post this. Couldn't find anywhere any similar questions to this. So we are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. But there is a large indoor planter at the end of the kitchen. I guess its there to separate the kitchen and hallway(its an open floor plan). When we first got the house we thought it was unique, but now it has become annoying and kind of dangerous since i have 2 little ones always running from their room to living room. And i want to take it out, but 2 questions.

1) I apologize if this is a dumb question, but i have learned never assume. Can a planter be structural? I'm thinking not since its flat on the ground, but please let me know(see pictures). Its put around a post, but the planter being taken down shouldn't affect that post right?

2) This thing goes deep. Way past the surface of the floor. Honestly, I can't tell if its going into the actual ground. Which i say that cause i have had lizards, and possibly a mouse come out of it(can't confirm the mouse cause it was out of the corner of my eye i seen something come out that was bigger than a lizard for sure). So my question is, can i just dig as deep as i can, cement over it to a certain level, put down cement board on top and just continue tile from the kitchen? or is there something else i should add or consider doing.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Large indoor planter box in middle of room-fullplanter.jpg   Large indoor planter box in middle of room-fromtop.jpg   Large indoor planter box in middle of room-post.jpg  
jermaine34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 254

Here is what I would do: (Keep in mind I am not an architect and I am not a carpenter)

I would take those bricks out around that post, and remove some of the dirt. You need to figure out what lays beneath that post without disturbing it (so no hammers, drills, etc) Just get a trusty spade and dig out a small area.

If there is a support, most likely cement/concrete if you're on the bottommost floor, then you are safe to remove the rest of the dirt, just don't dig too far down. It most likely does lead to the ground and you wouldn't want to dig into any water pipes or electrical lines.

I would dig down maybe 1-2 feet no more, fill with stone/sand, then build a frame that ties into whats around it if wood, or fill with stone, then concrete and tie in with surrounding concrete. Then backer board and tile. This may be a tricky project, but not a difficult one. I personally do not believe a "planter" could be considered load bearing. You just need to be aware of the structure underneath that pillar and be attentive to how much dirt you remove in relation to the foundation. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.

Cheers
mbrando1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks. I will start digging and see where it goes.
jermaine34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
indoor planter , planter box