Knee Wall In Front Of Regular Height Wall. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Deek22
  • 1 Post By Deek22

Old 01-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Knee wall in front of regular height wall.

So in my laundry room, I have two walls both of which are exterior walls, not in a full basement but probably under 2-3 feet of soil and one of these walls has the washer/dryer hookups on it. These two walls are knee walls, but they are right up against full heigh walls. So there is an 8" "shelf" on top of the knee wall up against the full height wall. I'm assuming the knee wall hides cinder blocks so that's why it bulges out into the room.

I want to flush this up, so make the knee wall full height as I want to install some built-in cabinets and backsplash above the washer/dryer. What is the easiest way to do this? Should I just frame out the top of the knee wall with short studs with sheetrock and mud the horizontal joint the best I can, or do I tear off the existing sheetrock on the knee wall and full height wall and get everything back down to bare studs and build out and sheetrock the whole thing again? Hope that makes sense. Thanks,
Deek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,742

Re: Knee wall in front of regular height wall.

If the top is drywalled you want to remove the corner bead and just build another wall on top.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

Yes, the top is drywalled. So the wall of the knee wall, the top of the knee wall, and the full height wall behind are all drywalled and painted white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek22 View Post
Yes, the top is drywalled. So the wall of the knee wall, the top of the knee wall, and the full height wall behind are all drywalled and painted white.
You do have to think more if you have a window or outlet but other than that I would just remove the corner bead and build a new wall.
The exterior wall was built as a system and what ever is in there is best just left to work as intended. Don't put insulation in the new wall.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

Thanks, I appreciate the info. No window on the main wall that has all the washer/dryer hookups. So i'll just remove the corner bead off the knee wall, then basically build a frame box to mount above the knee wall and sheetrock the new frame box and mud the horizontal joint between the old knee wall and the new drywall. Then paint it all.

Thanks,
Nealtw likes this.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the info. No window on the main wall that has all the washer/dryer hookups. So i'll just remove the corner bead off the knee wall, then basically build a frame box to mount above the knee wall and sheetrock the new frame box and mud the horizontal joint between the old knee wall and the new drywall. Then paint it all.

Thanks,
If the floor joists above land on that wall you will find something to nail to in the ceiling if the joists run the other way there may only be a couple blocks to find. You can always tie the new wall to the extereir with some blocks or something.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #7

Unfortunately, the ceiling joists run parallel to this wall so I'll have to find a way to fasten the new top stud wall to the existing wall studs. Since the top of the knee wall is 8" deep, should I just have a gap between the existing wall and where the new 2x4 stud wall starts with some spacing blocks (approx 4.5" long) between, then just toe in nail the spacing blocks to the existing wall studs and then I can use some Simpson tie-straps to attach the spacing blocks to the new studs?
Old 01-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Unfortunately, the ceiling joists run parallel to this wall so I'll have to find a way to fasten the new top stud wall to the existing wall studs. Since the top of the knee wall is 8" deep, should I just have a gap between the existing wall and where the new 2x4 stud wall starts with some spacing blocks (approx 4.5" long) between, then just toe in nail the spacing blocks to the existing wall studs and then I can use some Simpson tie-straps to attach the spacing blocks to the new studs?
Nail a 2x4 flat to the old wall right at the top, there should be 2plates there to nail to. when you have the new wall built nail blocks under your 2 top plates back to the under edge of the 2x4 on the old wall, done.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #9

Should I only do this at the top? I guess the bottom plate of the new wall will just nail into the top of the knee wall.

Thank you for your help. Happy New Years!
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement