Kitchen Subfloor Help - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marson

Old 02-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Kitchen subfloor help

Hey so im a bit confused with this I'm renovating my kitchen I pulled off tiles and 2 layers of plywood now im down to what looks like 3/4x4in planks placed on 45 degree angle. What I wanted to do was put down hardwood floor and connect it to the living room so its an even surface but to do that I would have to put the hardwood on top of the planks.Should I rip those out and just put a 3/4 plywood on the joist and install the hardwood on top of that or should I install the hardwood on the planks after replacing some of the damaged planks? Thank you all for your help
moejski123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,434

Re: Kitchen subfloor help

You might get away with leaving it, that was the norm years ago but plywood would do a nice job. but you can run into trouble with floor joists if you take it all out. You may want to cut just inside the last joist and add a 2x4 to the side of it to nail the plywood to. Going the other way I would cut 1 1/2" from the wall so you can slip a block under the edge so the plywood and boards can be screwed to it for a solid join.
Be sure then to match the thickness exactly with glue and nails or screws.
If you don't use T&G plywood add blocking between the joists to join the sheets the can be on the flat and don't need to touch the joists.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 944

The planks you see are the old wood subfloor. Often it was shiplap. This was how they built subfloors back before plywood came out.

Whether you can install hardwood over it depends on what you mean by hardwood. Old fashioned 3/4" solid strip hardwood flooring can be installed on a board subfloor. Most if not all the new engineered hardwoods require a plywood subfloor.
Nealtw likes this.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,586

What was the thickness of the plywood you removed? Was the flooring flush from the beginning? It is not a good idea to install hardwood, or any finished flooring over the cross hatched sub flooring, although it is done. What kind of mis match would you have if you installed 1/2" plywood, then your hardwood flooring?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

The plywood was either 3/4 or 5/8 im not sure right now if I were to install a 1/2in ply on the planks and 3/4 hardwood on top the difference in height would be half an inch
moejski123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 114

You have to make sure the planked sub-floor is nailed tight to the joists. Taking that off would be a major hassle/disaster. (If you took it off, it would have to be replaced by 3/4" T+G OSB or similar. If you do that, you will most likely get screwed up around walls. Also, you may wind up adding framing. If the house is old enough to have planked diagonal sheathing, it may need some additional blocking here and there also.) After fastening the original sub-floor, attach plywood, minimum 1/2". You want to avoid squeaks, which are caused by MOVEMENT between the layers of flooring. Pneumatic nailer or deck screws. Get plenty of sub-floor adhesive and screws to eliminate and/or fill voids. Check constantly for squeaks. Then attach the finish floor to the new plywood per manufacturer's recommendations. Use transition strips between the rooms to minimize any height differences.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 40

Those planks were put on prior to interior walls. As others have stated, it's a nightmare to remove as there is always an enormous amount of blocking needed.

If u use 3/4 traditional hardwood, sure set right on plank subfloor. I see no problem in that. No reason for extra work and money to be thrown at it
Hammerswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement