Kitchen Idea For Old Pantry. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

Kitchen Idea for old pantry.

After 5 years in our house, my wife and I finally have had enough of our super small pantry. I decided to re-purpose an connecting hallway off our kitchen into a walk-in pantry on one side, and a coat closet on the other side. Now I am left with the space of the old pantry. It measures 82Hx22.5Wx24D. My plan is to put a "coffee bar" on the space with some sort of overhead cabinet/storage. My wife would like a place to put cook books but I'm not sold on the idea. I was thinking maybe a regular cabinet, not sure if I would go full depth or partial depth. The plan if to leave the trash can below the counter, but due to lid height, the counter will need to be 38" instead of the normal 36". Due to this, there will be no drawer under the counter.

So far I've just re-done the drywall on the sides because after removing all the old shelves/brackets the old stuff was beat to hell. I also added the outlet to the end of the run on my kitchen to power my coffee pot and future espresso maker (fingers crossed my wife buys me one). I still need to finish the drywall but I don't want to get too far ahead and plan this through.

I'm a handy builder, I'm just lacking vision for the space. Care to offer any ideas. Attached is a picture of what I'm starting with.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Idea for old pantry.-20150202_180522.jpg  
DTZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,887

I went to a lot of work to build in a bookshelf for cookbooks into the wasted space to the right of the fireplace when we built this house. For us the Internet and computers have made cookbooks obsolete though the shelves are full of them.

Your wife OTOH may love and still use them. A coffee bar bookshelf combo sounds good as does your cabinet above. A wine rack if you partake also sounds good. A booze storage area?

A slightly deeper (you do the math) cabinet with a door hinged at the top and adjustable shelves could be used for any of those purposes this year and change next year if desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
I went to a lot of work to build in a bookshelf for cookbooks into the wasted space to the right of the fireplace when we built this house. For us the Internet and computers have made cookbooks obsolete though the shelves are full of them.

Your wife OTOH may love and still use them. A coffee bar bookshelf combo sounds good as does your cabinet above. A wine rack if you partake also sounds good. A booze storage area?

A slightly deeper (you do the math) cabinet with a door hinged at the top and adjustable shelves could be used for any of those purposes this year and change next year if desired.
I was actually thinking a wine rack but I'm not sure how to go about it. I don't need a place for booze, I build a custom bar in the basement a few years ago. I agree about the cookbooks. I never use any and she rarely does. She basically needs a tomb to place them. I'm really leaning towards a basic cabinet. I just can't think If I should recess like standard top cabinet or make it flush with the wall.
DTZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,887

Your forehead will appreciate about 12 more inches of counter than upper cabinet especially at first cup of coffee time.

I'm not sure I would tackle making and finishing a wine rack even though they are just heavy lattice secured in a frame on a 45 degree angle. All the above basic cabinet companies seem to have them in several stock sizes. Cutting one down or using a filler strips to fit the hole sounds easier to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement