Kitchen Countertops - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2015, 05:04 AM   #1
Electrician (Retired)

Rewards Points: 220

Kitchen countertops

Our kitchen was remodeled in 95 and has held up really well. We now have s formica counter top but would like to update it. Any suggestions on granite transformations or at least I think that's what it's called. (putting granite over the existing top). Or any other suggestions you may have on other surfaces?
sparky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 370

I'd check on the granite transformations cost vs. actual granite. We just put granite in our kitchen for $1,700 (we did our own demo) which isn't bad at all. I think granite has gotten more affordable.

A granite transformation is going to have a lot more labor associated with it. I'd rather pay for quality materials than labor.
costgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 184

I'ld never put granite over an existing top, for one thing you have less clearance between the upper cabinets and the countertop ( typically 18" clearance from bottom of upper cabinet to top of finished countertop ), they also tend to look goofy as the front bullnose pieces are also wider to compensate for build up. Laminate countertops are easy to remove, and a new sub top just as easy to install ready for tile or granite slabs.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 68

Without a doubt, the "granite transformation" is a joke to me and since at least here in the Midwest, granite prices (and I mean REAL granite!) have come down quite a bit in the last maybe 5 to 7 years, I think even for a fairly cost conscious job, going with real granite is definitely smart, plus if you ever go to sell the house the granite is a great selling point.
BT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,466

Granite maybe a great selling point, but you'll never, did I say never, get it right for the next lady of the house just the same as the painted walls will never be right. This information all comes free of charge and with a NO MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (07-17-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Granite maybe a great selling point, but you'll never, did I say never, get it right for the next lady of the house just the same as the painted walls will never be right. This information all comes free of charge and with a NO MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.
I've never did a renovation with the next buyer in mind. You don't like it, move on to the next house.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (07-11-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky48 View Post
Our kitchen was remodelled in 95 and has held up really well. We now have s Formica counter top but would like to update it. Any suggestions on granite transformations or at least I think that's what it's called. (putting granite over the existing top). Or any other suggestions you may have on other surfaces?
Hey,
It's been long time for your home renovation .Replace your obsolete countertop.You can get plenty of latest designs in granite counter top slabs like Golden sand,White galaxy, Blue flower and many more patterns from reputed stores for your kitchen .
donaldgolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

Keep with the classics and stay away from fads. Fads date a house, classics live on.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 68

Besides renovating homes, I'm a WI realtor as well since 2004 and trust me, simply the word "granite" in a listing helps to sell a home (here in the MKE MLS we're limited to 512 characters for the main description, which is what is then picked up by all of the other websites open to the general public to shop for homes) and if you can find a listing withh the word "laminate" in it trying to sell someone on what a great home it is, I'll eat my shoes!
BT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BT5150 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (07-17-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 05:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 225

Any reason you're not considering something such as say... a quartz counter top over granite? I know there are a lot of great things associated with granite, but there is also maintenance. Quartz can look just as amazing unless you're going for the granite look of stone, but it has none of the maintenance issues associated with granite as it's a man made product and completely sealed. Just food for thought.

Additionally, laminate is VERY easy to remove, often times just laminate trim over a 3/4" sheet of ply screwed down to the top of the counters- all the screws easy to see when you open and empty the cabinets and drawers. I would also hesitate depending on how good the laminate counter tops were installed and treated, as water damage could have eventually occurred through cracks, seams or other issues, and you can't see it without stripping the laminate off.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:52 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 107

Personally I would choose nearly anything except marble over granite. Ever tap a piece of stemware against stone ? It shatters immediately. I cook a lot, often with acidic foods (aka, citrus and tomatoes) as well as extensive dried chillie moles etc. All can stain or damage the granite surface even if sealed. Then there is the expense.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
Personally I would choose nearly anything except marble over granite. Ever tap a piece of stemware against stone ? It shatters immediately. I cook a lot, often with acidic foods (aka, citrus and tomatoes) as well as extensive dried chillie moles etc. All can stain or damage the granite surface even if sealed. Then there is the expense.
I never even thought of that. Any knowledge on how quartz (a near equally hard material I think...) handles stuff like stemware? The acidic stains are something I forgot or might have hinted at as well- in my distaste for granite upkeep.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
This post is filled with misinformation and absurd statements.
I've been putting in kitchens for 30+ years and have not had any complaints about damage to granite due to exploding stemware or issues with damage to the stone with normal cooking.
I probably wouldn't use granite in a meth lab. Best left to soapstone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (08-08-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
This post is filled with misinformation and absurd statements.
I've been putting in kitchens for 30+ years and have not had any complaints about damage to granite due to exploding stemware or issues with damage to the stone with normal cooking.
I probably wouldn't use granite in a meth lab. Best left to soapstone.

Exactly Ron.
Also, for those who are misinformed about granite, not all granite stains or requires maintenance like some posters mentioned. I used tan-brown granite in my last kitchen and loved it, never sealed it once in over ten years and it wouldn't stain if you tried. Now my bath was a different story, can't remember the name of the granite I used but if I didn't seal it once a year it would show stains from soap and toothpaste.
funflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,258

Any attempt to reuse any part of the existing counter top is only going to make it look half a$$ed and end up being a big waste of money.

Granite is porous. Yes, you can seal it.

I've been doing my research....we have granite in our bathroom....but I'll be doing quartz in the kitchen

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement