Iron Ring For Door Handle? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Iron ring for door handle?

I am making an old world/storybook type front door for my house. I have an idea that I'd like to be able to grasp an iron ring on the exterior and turn it to unlatch the door.
I have seen a ring handle for a gate latch, but the latch is on the same side as the ring. I would need the latch/bolt on the inside (I would prefer a rim lock on the inside, but I could do a mortise if necessary).
I can't say I've searched the Internet exhaustively, but it seems like most wrought iron rings to be found are just knocker or pull types (except for the gate latch/same side).
Has anyone ever seen this done? If there's no ready-made product, could a machinist bore the back of the ring base to receive the square spindle that turns a regular bolt, for a sane price?
Thanks!
Johnnywz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,406

Re: Iron ring for door handle?

A machine shop can build anything you want. Going rate in my area is around $100.00 an hour. And I may be wrong here, but I don't think a shop will give you a fixed price on your project, as they have no way of knowing what the tooling/labor will be until its finished. If they do price it out on a contract price, they will price it high to CTA.

Now, you may find a lock assembly that works and you could take in to a welding shop and show the shop manager what you want done and maybe get them to alter it. Just be aware that a machine or welding shop neither one, will be real keen on knick-knack work.

They need big projects to keep their employees and overhead paid, so having a employee tied up on a doorknob project, IMO one will not get many offers from either type shop to do probably. You may get lucky though, never know. Good Luck. JMO
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,024

Something like this? I just Googled 'iron ring door latch'. Looks like it is compatible with a standard square lockset shank. It's a Pinterest image so I don't know where it is available. There might be others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,406

Good find L,

Which moved the cobwebs around in my head and now I remember what it was seeing PI mentioned.

The OP may do well in visiting some garage and estate sales to find his iron components needed to make his projects. Lots of hidden metallic treasure's in those events.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:11 AM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,576

OP could go to a high school, or Junior College welding class, and ask the teacher, if any student would both design and implement a suitable handle and latch assembly.

Remembering when I was in class that there was always opportunities to do these kind of things.

Got good grades on them too.

An ornamental Iron worker, here locally specializes in piecemeal jobs just like this, for his livelihood.

Look around there for a shop that does this.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

http://coolhousez.net/cute-accessori...-design-ideas/
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement