Installing A New Walk-In Shower - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Installing a New Walk-In Shower

Because this new walk-in showers project will be fairly large (6'5" wide 4' deep)I'd like to use multiple shower heads around the shower and maybe overhead rain shower head from the ceiling.

I'm not a plumber so I fairly clueless except for sweating pipe or assembling CPCV piping.

I've even see exposed piping online for an industrial type of look and that kinda interesting.

Any words of advise on multiple shower head systems or where is the best value place to shop for these items?

Budget for shower heads / trim / valve $700 - $1000. No Chrome Finish

Thanks
Kemper100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 898

Re: Installing a New Walk-In Shower

Everyone I've talked to who decked out their shower with tons of valves never used any other than the standard one coming out the side wall.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,046

You also need a ton of volume if you want to use two or three features. The rainhead alone is a volume hog. I, too, have heard clients say they have multiple heads and use either the rainhead or regular head exclusively. Usually a rain head and a handheld is all that is needed. I mean, gee, whatcha gonna do in there and how long will your hot water last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Acknowledged...

What about a preferred online shopping or does Lowes or Home Dept provide enough choices and price.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Naildriver

I"ve had good success with major brand stuff, either from the box stores or from plumbing supply houses. One caveat, however, most plumbing houses have separate showrooms where their wares are sold, and you'll probably need to sit down when they quote you prices. Hans Grohe for example is solid 440 stainless and weighs a ton......to match the price. All to run water through it, so go figure. You won't go wrong with Delta, Price Pfister, Moen to name a few.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Kemper100 (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
I"ve had good success with major brand stuff, either from the box stores or from plumbing supply houses. One caveat, however, most plumbing houses have separate showrooms where their wares are sold, and you'll probably need to sit down when they quote you prices. Hans Grohe for example is solid 440 stainless and weighs a ton......to match the price. All to run water through it, so go figure. You won't go wrong with Delta, Price Pfister, Moen to name a few.
Is it ever acceptable to run a water supply line on the exterior wall? I've furred the existing wall over with 1-1/2 lumber (2 X 4's flat) with a 1/2" gap agaist the existing exterior wall for the purpose of a nice new and flat / square surface (the house is old and nothing is square) I could install additional insulation.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
Naildriver

Is the external wall concrete? To answer your question , it is never acceptable to put water on an external wall, BUT sometimes it is necessary.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Is the external wall concrete? To answer your question , it is never acceptable to put water on an external wall, BUT sometimes it is necessary.
No it's an old Balloon framing style of wood-house. I wanted to install the controls on the side / exterior wall so they would be beside the side wall bench, that way I could sit back and have the shower head spay down on the person (me) in a sitting position.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #9
Naildriver

Where are you located? In colder climates you will experience frozen pipes in that wall, no matter what insulation procedures you use. Insulation only keeps cold/hot air from passing through. If there is no heat, then the cold will win. Some will introduce room air into the wall cavity to preclude this freezing effect, but it will be at the cost of condensation, and that is why I don't like water on outside walls.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Where are you located? In colder climates you will experience frozen pipes in that wall, no matter what insulation procedures you use. Insulation only keeps cold/hot air from passing through. If there is no heat, then the cold will win. Some will introduce room air into the wall cavity to preclude this freezing effect, but it will be at the cost of condensation, and that is why I don't like water on outside walls.
I'm in Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement