Installed Tub Surround, Used Grout Instead Of Silicone - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Installed tub surround, used grout instead of silicone

I installed an acrylic tub along with an acrylic 5 piece tub surround.
The white silicone I used to seal all the seams fell apart, during the first shower, in a few places along where the tub and surround meet. I made sure the surface was clean and dry before applying silicone and waited around 30 hours before showering.
In my googling frustration I read somewhere that I can use grout as an alternative so today when I grouted the tile border around the tub and surround I put grout along the top of the tub where it meets the surround.

My questions are: is the grout going to keep water from leaking through the surround? I'm concerned now the grout may crack.

Also, does grout even adhere to acrylic?

One other question, can I use silicone over grout once it's dry to make it waterproof?
Lexikinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexikinz View Post
I installed an acrylic tub along with an acrylic 5 piece tub surround.
The white silicone I used to seal all the seams fell apart, during the first shower, in a few places along where the tub and surround meet. I made sure the surface was clean and dry before applying silicone and waited around 30 hours before showering.
In my googling frustration I read somewhere that I can use grout as an alternative so today when I grouted the tile border around the tub and surround I put grout along the top of the tub where it meets the surround.

My questions are: is the grout going to keep water from leaking through the surround? I'm concerned now the grout may crack.

Also, does grout even adhere to acrylic?

One other question, can I use silicone over grout once it's dry to make it waterproof?
You need to remove every spec of grout you put in there, that was some very bad advice bordering on stupid. Wish you hadn't listened to all that crap.

To answer your questions:...
Yes the grout will leak, it IS NOT WATERPROOF.
Yes the grout is likely to crack, (depending on what product was used) it is not compatible with either surface you used it on.
DO NOT use silicone over grout.
ben's plumbing (10-15-2014), joecaption (10-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

*update* I removed the grout and giving myself a swift slap to the forehead. Stupid idea!! I don't know where I read that. I feel like I dodged a bullet there, the grout wasn't dry yet and turned into powder with a very light scrape with the putty knife. I vacuumed the debri and now I'm back to square one

What kind of silicone will fully cure and remain flexible at the same time? I used Dap kitchen bath and plumbing white 100% silicone originally and the seems that I sealed 2 days ago seems like it hardened but I'm worried it will flake off soon. The bottom edge is clean and ready to be sealed. I didn't use alcohol on it but I can use some tomorrow once the stores open. Although, being a new build I'm not sure that's necessary.
Lexikinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,872

New build or not it needed to be cleaned with alcohol.
If this tub was meant to have a shower and has a lip along the two sides and the back that seals not a big deal.
Not likely waters going to run up hill anytime soon and any water that leaks into the over lapping seams will have a way out.
I apply the silicone to the lip as I'm installing the panels so it's not seen.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 978

Lexikinz-what kind of surround did you get?
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement