I'm Using 3" X 4" Toe Kicks On My Frameless Cabinets - Change My Mind! - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By andr0id
  • 1 Post By Orawczyk

Old 09-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

I'm using 3" x 4" toe kicks on my frameless cabinets - Change my mind!

Alright, I'm building frame-less cabinets for the kitchen.

The toe kicks will be 4" high, the boxes will be 30-1/2" high and I'll have 1-1/2" counter tops. That's 36".

I will not be tiling under the cabinets, so tile will only run up to the unfinished edge of the toe kick.

My tile is 3/8" thick dry, so I'm calling it 1/2" once it is set.

So, I'm building 4-1/2" tall frames for the boxes to sit on. They're set back 3-1/4" from the front face of the boxes. I'll add back on 1/4" veneer plywood once the tile is installed.

Does that all sound like a pretty good plan?
Domo likes this.
andr0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,756

Re: I'm using 3" x 4" toe kicks on my frameless cabinets - Change my mind!

Sounds good to me.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
andr0id (09-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

I use a 4x4" toekick which gets a 1x placed in it, so it ends up being 4" tall and 3 1/4" deep.

I build my sides out of 3/4" ply with a dado for the bottom shelf 4" up from the bottom, and rabbets for the 1/2" back and 3/4" top. My sides are 34 1/2" high and 22 1/2" deep. I put 3/4" ply on top of the 3/4" ply tops, top this with 1/2" tilebacker, and tile. This gives me 36".

Never figured out why anyone would install new cabinets, then tile to them. Maybe the same guys that install baseboard and casing, then finish it in place? Same guys that install the cabinets, then the backsplash?

I've never built any frame-less cabinets, always boxes with face frames.

I'm also not sure why anyone builds a frame to set their boxes on, rather than having the boxes the full height. I think that is a hold-over from the times when cabinets were site-built. A platform was built, running the full length of the run of cabinets, then a single "cabinet" was built running the full run also, tacked into 1x's nailed to the studs. Your sheetrock was the cabinet back. Then the whole "run" got a face frame built and tacked on.

I've removed a lot of these kitchens and there is no way to remove a partial run of cabinets, as everything is connected. This made it difficult when a dishwasher was desired later.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
I use a 4x4" toekick which gets a 1x placed in it, so it ends up being 4" tall and 3 1/4" deep.

I build my sides out of 3/4" ply with a dado for the bottom shelf 4" up from the bottom, and rabbets for the 1/2" back and 3/4" top. My sides are 34 1/2" high and 22 1/2" deep. I put 3/4" ply on top of the 3/4" ply tops, top this with 1/2" tilebacker, and tile. This gives me 36".

Never figured out why anyone would install new cabinets, then tile to them. Maybe the same guys that install baseboard and casing, then finish it in place? Same guys that install the cabinets, then the backsplash?

I've never built any frame-less cabinets, always boxes with face frames.

I'm also not sure why anyone builds a frame to set their boxes on, rather than having the boxes the full height.

It allows you to get a dead level top surface for the countertop. It is MUCH easier to shim and secure a base rather than futz individual cabinets.

The countertop manufacturer and the installer will not warrant a 400lb, 10 ft run of quartz coutertop with a cutout for an under-mount sink with a bunch of individual cabinets sitting on wavy floor tile. They bring in a laser to measure and map the template. If it isn't right, they'll tell you to fix it and charge for a 2nd visit.

My cabinets are 3/4" sides and bottoms, 1/2" back. No tops, just spreaders for screwing to the wall, attaching the countertop and separating drawers. They are site built.

Dishwasher and fridge are panel ready and will be completely built in.

Last edited by andr0id; 09-16-2018 at 10:06 PM.
andr0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 50

I used 2"x6" framing for the toe kick area to provide enough space for drawers in place of the toe kick.
Nealtw likes this.
Orawczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,212

When someone starts out like this, "" Change my mind! ""

Why bother?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,630

I have a reason for you to reconsider your toe kick dimensions.

If you or someone else living there ever needs to use a wheelchair, those toe kicks will interfere with the caster wheels on the chair.

I know this as I am now a wheelchair jockey, better than half of my day.

See my post in August 2016, about rusty nails, to learn why.

Anyway when I am getting meals prepared, doing dishes, or anything else that needs a countertop to work on, I am flustered by the caster, flipping around, and getting hung, or pushing me too far from the counter to comfortably work, then I swear " words" that are shameful, but are used freely in modern movies.

So there are dimensions recommended for wheelchair accessibility, that I advise that you look into, before making a final choice on those.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement