How To Remove Old Style Baseboards And Quarter Round To Resuse, Without Damaging It? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 424

How to remove old style baseboards and quarter round to resuse, without damaging it?

i think they are mitered, or maybe they are coped, but i am leaning towards mitered (let me know if you need a better pic)? But how can I remove it piece by piece and save for reuse? (i was thinking it was mitered and if i try to pull it out it will jam or bend? the baseboard is about 10 feet long.

ghary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

Mostly luck involved to remove without damage.

Cut the top edge w/a utility knife.

Try to work in a a putty knife or taping knife at the top between the base & wall to give you something to pry against.

Get a very small pry bar and just start trying to work it loose.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,896

I'm not seeing anything worth the time and effort to try and save.
Your going to spend a ton of time trying to strip of that old likely lead based paint, priming and painting.
Remove and replacing with with new trim would come out looking a whole lot better.
Just looks like 1 X 6's and base cap molding.
No clue why someone would have add that silly looking 1/4 round at the top of it, it's not needed.
I've been through this at least 100 times and proven my way is faster.
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

the paint job is pretty bad, but that is white paint and is part of the baseboard, it is not quarter round on top, the whole thing is 8 inches high.

Last edited by ghary; 10-01-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 288

Other than the "Mostly luck" part of the griz approach I agree with the rest of his post.

It's all about TLC, start with thin to get you in and then just be gentle with it. A lot of that old base is nailed with huge nails. Have a sawzall ready with a new fine tooth blade. you may have to pry a little and then cut a few nails and then pry and cut again to get it done.

Piece of cake if you put your surgical precision hat on.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

i only have access to a hammer's claw and a crowbar, no electrical saws except a circular saw. Is the baseboard really not worth saving? I don't want to throw it out if I will regret it later.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,903

You can salvage up to 95% of it with slow careful work. Some will break no matter what you do. Read the posts above.

People said pry bar. That means flat pry bar not a crow bar. Buying one on the midget models will help with the cove or quarter round base. Breaking the caulk / paint seal between the 2 pieces applies here as well as at the top is extremely important.

While I often start with an old putty knife I find that the extra rigidity of a painter's 5-n-1 tool is better for creating a gap large enough for the flat bar. The closer to the floor you can insert the pry bar, the more even the pressure and less chance for breaking a board.

Cracked or broken boards can be glued and clamped for repair. Plugs can be cut to repair and electrical box holes.

Yes it is a lot of work but sometimes it is worth it to retain the character of the home.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 24

Why do you want to save it? Do you want to strip it? The whole house, just one wall? It looks in such bad shape it might be better to replace all of it.

I believe the white top part is a separate piece, then the larger baseboard, then the 1/4 round.

Start at a doorway or outside corner (not an inside corner). The 1/4 round isn't worth saving. Take it off first.

Next Try to remove the (white) top part. From my experience these guys used big nails - 8 penny?
doug_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

I thought that the older baseboards were better than the newer smaller ones. What are teh advantages and disadvantages of the newer and older style baseboards?

Here is a shot of the top part, I feel it is one peice. I have pictures of ones in the other rooms as well, they are not painted in 2 colors, they are one piece (correct me if I am wrong). a little over half of the house has the older style baseboards, the rest is the newer smaller style.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 24

I've done this before.

It's very rare to have moldings 8" wide. These are made of pieces. Additionally there is no way that a planer knife could cut those deep contours.

Looking it carefully at your corner photo - it looks like 4 pieces.

The top, white piece is definitely added on.

The next piece is that scroll.

The bottom 4 1/2" - 5" is a plain piece of wood, that has been rounded over.

Lastly the 1/4 round.

---------------------

Why do you want to remove it? If you want to strip it - Peel-Away is a great product. I'd remove the top white trim and the 1/4 round - and discard both. Then strip it in place - a whole lot less work and you won't disturb anything.

I say this, cause when you remove it, you will find the plaster is cracked from the original nailing.
doug_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 17,896

There's nothing "better" about old painted trim.
There's just nothing special about what you have there, simple 1 X board and a base cap molding.
What's the plan for those messed up walls?
Oso954 (10-03-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,212

Are you demoing the plaster, if so, the trim will be too short to use unless you re-plaster.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #13

Yes, i will remove the plaster and replace with either 1 or 2 layers of 5/8" drywall for sound insulation.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 4,212

I would use a gel paint stripper then a steel brush.
Followed up with steel wool.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,410

If you choose the TLC + pry away approach, I have found a chisel scraper is very useful.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement