How New Is This Drywall? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

How New Is This Drywall?

So I'm working with what I believe is newly purchased Certainteed drywall and I want to confirm that it's new/modern drywall.

Some information that is printed directly on the board says "14/07/08V20345"

Do those first 6 digits represent the date that it was manufactured?
I'm guessing it means 2014, July 8th...

I was reading how Certainteed took a while to stop using asbestos in their products and seeing these fibrous things sticking out of my drywall, I wasn't sure if it was fiberglass or what... (I'm talking shower wall drywall, the blueish kind)

Anything American made in 2007, 2008, or 2014 should be fine right?

Last edited by Mr.Hepafilter; 10-10-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Mr.Hepafilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

1978 was the last time asbestos was allowed for use in common household products--
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
1978 was the last time asbestos was allowed for use in common household products--
Okay thanks for that.

Hm, I know that joint compound was banned right during that time, but didn't some companies use it in some other drywall products until the mid 80's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hepafilter View Post
Okay thanks for that.

Hm, I know that joint compound was banned right during that time, but didn't some companies use it in some other drywall products until the mid 80's?
Nothing was banned. Asbestos is still used in a lot of products. You would never be able to physical see Asbestos, unless you placed it under a microscope, or send a sample off to be tested.

That Blue Board may be the stuff that they use for Plaster. The last problem with Drywall, was after Katrina, when cheap Chinese Gypsum products flooded the market, which contained high Sulfur content that off gassed. The case in 2010 was regarding an Asbestos pipe wrapping case, that a lady sued Certainteed over her husband not using the proper precautions, to keep him from breathing the Asbestos in, while he cut away the material.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Nothing was banned. Asbestos is still used in a lot of products. You would never be able to physical see Asbestos, unless you placed it under a microscope, or send a sample off to be tested.

That Blue Board may be the stuff that they use for Plaster. The last problem with Drywall, was after Katrina, when cheap Chinese Gypsum products flooded the market, which contained high Sulfur content that off gassed. The case in 2010 was regarding an Asbestos pipe wrapping case, that a lady sued Certainteed over her husband not using the proper precautions, to keep him from breathing the Asbestos in, while he cut away the material.

Nothing was banned? I guess I misinterpreted the information I've been looking into and switched out "discontinued" for "banned".
It shows here the start and end dates of companies that used asbestos in joint compound, with the dates showing when they used it: http://www.mesothelioma.com/asbestos...oint-compound/

Not exactly sure about drywall but there seems to be this asbestos guru who has professionally checked many times in drywall and wall board systems only to find asbestos in other materials like textured paint and stuff.

And yeah you're right about not seeing it with the naked eye, but I thought that was the broken asbestos, as oppose to un-aggitated asbestos.

So that case you mentioned happened in 2010, but was that also roughly the time the pipe wrapping was made? A lot of cases are still being made today I'm sure, but over materials that are decades old.

Last edited by Mr.Hepafilter; 10-11-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #6

That website is an ambulance chasing website. If you go in a do a search on any Naval ship built in the 70's and 80's. It will tell you that those who worked on or around them, may have been exposed.

I have had a whole of chest x-rays done over the years, along with labs to check for Lead or Mercury. Everything is zero on any evidence. Even those of us that went to schools that had asbestos coming apart, or lived in homes that had asbestos tape on the duct joint. There is zero evidence that the majority of us show any signs of exposure

As for that particular joint compound. It is as Mike stated. They stopped using asbestos in those products at the same time they stopped using it in certain building products.

Still there are a lot of products in our lives that will still have asbestos used in them.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
That website is an ambulance chasing website. If you go in a do a search on any Naval ship built in the 70's and 80's. It will tell you that those who worked on or around them, may have been exposed.

I have had a whole of chest x-rays done over the years, along with labs to check for Lead or Mercury. Everything is zero on any evidence. Even those of us that went to schools that had asbestos coming apart, or lived in homes that had asbestos tape on the duct joint. There is zero evidence that the majority of us show any signs of exposure

As for that particular joint compound. It is as Mike stated. They stopped using asbestos in those products at the same time they stopped using it in certain building products.

Still there are a lot of products in our lives that will still have asbestos used in them.

Yeah I heard of the Navel Ship problems from a few other resources.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hepafilter View Post
Yeah I heard of the Navel Ship problems from a few other resources.
Again there are no problems with the Naval Fleet or anything out there that may still have Asbestos in certain items.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Again there are no problems with the Naval Fleet or anything out there that may still have Asbestos in certain items.
From what I've read, many Naval workers have developed asbestos related diseases from working in some of those old ships. One claim was made recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement