How Do I Attach These Beams? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,236

How do I attach these beams?

I will be extending this gable porch out another 8 feet and want that exposed beam look. The whole thing might have to come down:

Here are two pics I found on the web. My initlal thought was that the beams that are coming out of the house, would lay on top of the top plates. But the more I look at this picture of the guys building the porch, it can't be on the top plate.

Are they simply using a Simpson hanger on wall? Or did they break into the wall and erect a beam pocket? Figured that would be a difficult job since I'd have to fight electrical runs, etc...What are some other ways to do this? Not sure the size of beam I'd be using, but something similar.

Last edited by Daugela; 04-21-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

Re: How do I attach these beams?

To little info.Are you going to pour footings for new post at or close to the end of the addition?The beams to support the roof need to be tied into the existing structure.
What will the span be?
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
To little info.Are you going to pour footings for new post at or close to the end of the addition?The beams to support the roof need to be tied into the existing structure.
What will the span be?
Here's some more info.

SPAN of beams from house wall to new post: 9'
Width of posts: 13'

Both new posts will have their own footings.
Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,452

It doesn't matter as long as it is sitting on load bearing points. The first photo, if not the top plates, they could be let into the wall and sitting on multiple studs. Inside wall would have to be cut. The overhang is cut, so there may be a ledger and the sides beams attached to it. The roof sheathing resists the pull away from the house. If you use less rafters, you have to use better sheathing, possibly t&g 2x over the rafters.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 708

You could add two new posts/footings next to or near the house and have the beams on 4 posts/footings, sort of like a free standing porch with the roofs connected.
The footings would need to below ground to the same level as the house footings to avoid frost heave issues.
Simpson hangers would only work if there was sufficient framing to attach them properly.
Another option would be to notch the ends so a portion of the beam is on the top plate if the heights don't work. Calculations for beam sizing would tell you if this is an option. It might work, or it might not.

*edit*

You likely won't have frost issues in Arizona LOL

Last edited by jlhaslip; 04-24-2016 at 08:36 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement