Help! Short Basement - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By RickMacKay

Old 10-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Help! Short Basement

So I have a 1980 Wick Panelized home with an unfinished basement that we are completely remodeling. We want to finish the main room but the walls are currently on 7'8". My husband is 6'4". It's a walk out with a steal beam through the main room. What are our options???? Once we get the HVAC soffits in and drywall there could be spots as low at 6'8". That's only 4" headroom. I need some incredibly savvy solution!! Please help.
rerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,776

Re: Help! Short Basement

Hi rerin and welcome to the forum.
One, you could exchange him for a shorter husband. If that is not an option, then leave the ceiling open and just paint everything up there. Sounds crazy, but when one finishes a basement they shouldn't get too carried away (IMO).

First, most basements were never built to be finished. The necessary steps to eliminate moisture vapor passing through the concrete is very expensive and must be done at the time of construction. Once built you are left with managing that moisture to avoid that old basement smell.

Here's some reading: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...bout-basements

And here are some pictures of painted ceiling joists so you can keep hubby and keep him from hitting the ceiling.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pain...HVqlCpQQ7AkIMA

Bud
123pugsy likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (10-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,458

Usual main duct can eat up a lot of room. I think you can change the duct size as long as you don't change how much air it lets through. If you have 10x6 duct, that is 60 square inches opening. If you replace that duct with similar size duct but thinner and still allows side outlets, then you can gain some inches. I insulated my duct with 1" xps also. When you frame the duct, you don't need frame/nailer on the duct bottom face. 1/2" drywall can span 16" at least. Frame the duct sides and put the drywall to the frame.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,018

Depending on your location, your building code may have a minimum ceiling height for a finished space. There are some allowances for ducts and things provided they don't exceed a certain percentage of the total floor area.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
If that is not an option, then leave the ceiling open and just paint everything up there.
+1 to that.
I've done this to a handful of basement ceilings (flat black). You'd be surprised on how well it cleans things up.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 24

The previous owners here sprayed ducts with texture and painted. Looks pretty good. They covered the joists bays with canvas, stapled. Also looks decent.
MonsieurBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,458

Paint on a shiny metal duct may not stay stuck, esp with condensation. It does better on galvanized metal. Canvas is not fire resistant. Also the combustion appliance, such as water heater, boiler, furnace, must have fire block material over it as a ceiling. 5/8 drywall is one material. Sheet metal in combo with thinner drywall may work. Ask your town.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Paint on a shiny metal duct may not stay stuck, esp with condensation. It does better on galvanized metal. Canvas is not fire resistant.
I dunno, the paint on my ducts has been firmly in place for almost 15 years now. About 50 feet of supply and return in rectangular and tubular variety.

As for canvas, yes some canvas is not fire resistant. Some is, and is marketed as such.
MonsieurBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,274

4" headroom is plenty unless you continually give him reasons to put a little bounce in his step, ha....

I like the sprayed out ceilings in the pics. Quite nice actually. If I had of seen those pics, I may have not drywalled mine.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 114

We did a $250,000 basement finish years ago. By the time it came to the exercise room, the owners wanted to save some cash, so we sprayed the joists and mechanicals with a medium gray paint, which we judged was about the same color as dirt and dust. We lit up the space with tiny spots that directed the light onto the floor and equipment, away from the ceiling. At the end of the job, that was one of their favorite features.
123pugsy likes this.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement ceiling , ceiling height