Help With Required Spacing Between Counter And Cabinet - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 114

Help with Required spacing between counter and cabinet

New LVT tile required Multi-Ply over previous floor before installation. After leveling old cabinets to accept quartz countertop I find that I will not have the required 18" spacing between counter and cabinet on either side of the stove. The new space will be 17 5/8". Is this going to be a problem? Cannot move upper cabinets because of soffit and cannot lower base cabinets. What to do??
MomBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 05:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,630

Re: Help with Required spacing between counter and cabinet

No problem as long as your tallest appliance fits under there. Even an inspector who MEASURE everything should pass it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 600

I think you read the information incorrectly. There is no such code requirement to have a cabinet 18 inches to the side of a stove but rather the distance from the top of the stove to the bottom of the cabinet.

With the GE electric cooktop I installed the specified clearance is 30 inches from the top of the stove to the unprotected overhead surface and a maximum over the stove top cabinet depth of 13 inches. They also specify having wall coverings and cabinets around the cooktop that can withstand up to 200 F degrees.

If you have a hood or a microwave oven mounted over the cooktop then you should follow the specifications for those. I installed a microwave oven over the cooktop that has a air ventilation function (that I disabled as if something burns on the stove I always open the windows to clear the air in the room). The bottom of the microwave needs to be 13 inches above the cooktop surface. I added a cabinet over the microwave and as a result gained added storage space that would have been lost with a range hood - and it looks better as well.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,739

OP specifically says between counter and cabinet; you're misreading the "on either side of the stove" to mean a lateral measurement, when the OP's intention is to describe the vertical distance between countertop and bottom of cabinet to left of, and right of stove.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement