Help - Plumbers/tilers Didn't Fir (fur?) Out Walls - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Unhappy

Help - plumbers/tilers didn't fir (fur?) out walls

Hi there.

I'm now going to call myself a noobie DIYer, since after the last few people we've hired, I'm planning on doing any and everything I can around the house I can My problem started with being a rent-to-own tenant, and having my father (not a fan of spending money) as a landlord

Our problem is that we had a very old chipped and stained bathtub, moldy old tile, and a tiny, awkward space holding it all in. Our bathroom (ONLY 1) is a small one, built upstairs in the 1930s. The ceiling slopes down to about 6' right in the shower, and our bathroom is elevated for some reason, making the room seem even smaller. The space isn't the real concern however. The problem is that when looking to rip out the old tub and tile, we were finding it impossible to find tub surrounds to fit in the short area we were working with. We looked into Swanstone, but the price they wanted for that was as much as retiling the entire bathroom (why?!)

Our only option seemed to be tile, and subway tile was both cheap and attractive, so we had the bathtub guys install a simple tub. (Some back story: Same guys had previously measured our space wrong and brought a tub/shower surround in, only to not have it fit, which is how we figured out there was no surround fit for our house ) Now, I'm a mom of two young kids, one of them being only 1 year old at this time. To keep them out of the dust/noise/way of the workers, I took them to my mothers house for the day, and was unfortunately not there to supervise what went on. My father (and landlord) was not keen on replacing the bathroom flooring, so they came up with the bright idea of bringing the wall out to meet the tub (making our bathroom even smaller). I questioned how this would work, since the ceiling above the shower slopes...how would they meet properly? I was told basically "Oh, we just fir the wall out, don't worry...we know what we're doing" and I was thinking "Um, okay, if you say so...I guess these guys do this all the time, right?" I didn't really know much about furring or firring but looked up a little online to get the general idea of it. I still wasn't sure how this would look with the sloping ceiling, and wasn't fond of our bathroom shrinking further just to save a few bucks on flooring, but my dad's stubborn and even though I pay the rent, and for all repairs in the long-run, he was footing the bill initially. I didn't really have a choice in the matter....enough about that....

So, the tile guys were to come in as soon as the tub guys finished, and it was supposed to be a 1-2 day project max. That's long enough when it's your only bathroom for 4 people. I was gone with the kids, and hoping my father would be 'supervising' or answering any questions and making sure things looked okay. I was wrong. He decided to involve himself in another project in the garage, and the tub crew left early, leaving a mess behind. I came home before the tile guys got there, and was kind of shocked at what a huge space was left between the wall and the tub. Given my general idea of what firring/furring was, it didn't look like that had been done. There was a tub mounted to some wood, about 6-8 inches away from the wall. Something didn't look right.

The tile guys came in and looked a little scared, honestly. They said they'd never seen such a gap left by plumbers before, and they didn't really know how they were going to work with that. I asked about firring, and they said they had never done that before, and that was something the plumbers would usually do. We called the plumbers...we called their emergency number...we left messages....no answer. This was on a FRIDAY, mind you, so did we want to wait until Monday to ask them about furring or why such a big gap was left? No. The tilers came up with an idea they thought would work...using that waterproof greenboard or whatever it is, and I think also some wood (once again had to take the kids to grandmas, so wasn't there to see everything) to bring the wall out to meet the tub. Given the problem of the odd gap now left at the ceiling (my concern from the start!) they came up with an idea of using a curved, ridged tile trim piece along the top edge, and it actually came out looking quite good.

That is, until they got to the bottom row of tile. They said that because the bathtub installation guys had used ROUND/dome screws, this left them with an odd slight slant on the bottom row, and they warned that this might crack and possibly cause leaks sometime down the road. They said they would return and fix this if the tub guys came back and fixed their screwwork

The bathtub guys, upon hearing about all of this said it was all ridiculous and not their fault, but obviously inexperienced tilers who had no idea what they were doing. They wouldn't explain to us why they left the job early themselves and wouldn't answer their emergency plumbing hotline #

Several months down the road....shower is leaking downstairs. I've noticed cracking and chipping of grout all along this back wall, but mainly on that lower row. I was trying to repair it when the bottom tiles just popped out, and I could see wet white goo (glue?) underneath as well as BLACK MOLD growing off of the now soft wood that the tub is attached to. There are 4 tiles popped off, and when we had the bathroom/plumber tub guys come to check it out, they shook their head and said it's all the tile guys fault, and he should have "furred" out the wall. Now either the whole wall needs to go and be redone (probably out of MY pocket) or some sort of miracle needs to happen. I'm freaking out because what was supposed to be my dad and landlord's cheap fix, is now causing huge headaches, and neither the tub or tile guy will take the blame for firring or not firring because neither says it was their responsibility.

Sorry for rambling on so much. Part venting/mostly backstory info

Now, what to do? Who is responsible in all of this madness?
succinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,756

I kinda got distracted after Chapter 16 of your book! Just kidding. Lots going on with your bathroom. Certainly it would help if you posted pictures. Without seeing what's going on, it's a crapshoot to guess at possible remedies.

A couple things come to mind. In my mind, the tile guys should not have tiled over the substandard work of the plumbers. That was just asking for trouble in my opinion. By installing the tile over the plumbers work, they were basically saying it was "good to go" and at that point, they were assuming any liability if something went amiss.

It's disappointing to hear that the plumbers won't return your calls. Had they done so, and came back and corrected a few things, this whole mess could have been avoided. To me, they all should share blame, but by tiling over the poor plumbers work, the tile guys basically assumed liability, and, in my mind are the guys who need to correct the problems to your satisfaction.
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

I've just added pictures if this is of some help. I'm not sure how to post them here, but they are in my album I believe, if you go to my profile. Thanks.

So far we've had no luck getting the tiling guys to return our calls either. There is definitely a steep decline in customer service these days it seems. There isn't much here for competition, so perhaps they really don't care. We're in a small town, and have been disappointed or overcharged by nearly everyone we've ever contracted.
succinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 454

No disrespect but ill give you a little advice you may want to be more to the questions, because most people, like me doesn't want to read a novel and will not repply to your question.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,410

I would have a couple of options come to mind: call one of the TV shows that calls bad contractors out and see if they help (I have no idea if they will bankroll it or not); call a local low-cost lawyer who can walk in to their place or write a letter and threaten to sue unless they fix it; look into reporting them to either their licensing agency or the local building inspector or going after their bond for the cost of repairs; writing the details up in the local paper or share them in a local community group on facebook (these can give rise to a lawsuit if the people are particularly stupid; it would draw more attention to their failure but is possible); taking them to small claims court if it exists where you are; learning how to do the work yourself; hiring someone to fix it.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathtub , firring , furring , leak , tile