Help Me Find An Inch In This Cabinet. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 10-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Endless Projects

Rewards Points: 1,278

Help me find an inch in this cabinet.

My kitchen had a cubby initially designed for a 27" oven. My wife had to have a 30" oven. In her defense she is a professionally trained chef and I am well fed. However the 3" addition in oven width is proving to be a major pain to install.

My initial plan was to remove the one wall of the cubby. Build a plywood cabinet to hold the double oven with drawers below and shelves above. The cutout width of the oven is 28.5" I figured make the opening of the cabinet 28.75" with 3/4 inch ply so I need 30.25" all day. When I removed the wall all except for the stud starting the new perpendicular wall, I am left with 28.75" That is without sheetrock. Since I was using 5/8 sheet rock I am 1 1/8" short of the space i need. I could go with 1/2" sheet rock there but I am still 1 inch short.

I could remove the sideways stud in this wall but doing so would not give me any place to attach the sheetrock behind it. My plan was to leave that stud and trim down the bottom plate and top plate to be only 1.5" wide to be able to catch the sheetrock on both sides.

I can't go any deeper on this wall because the room behind it holds the furnace and it is a tight squeeze to the furnace to do any repairs or replacements as it is.

I am trying to avoid as much sheetrocking as possible when it is done.

One thought was to put the two layers of sheetrock back to back without a wall between. This little wall is only 12" long. They will have a 3.5" stud to screw into on one side and then be butted up against a perpendicular wall on the other side. I am not sure how i am going to run the phone and cable wires in this all gypsum no stud wall but that seems like the easiest option.

The other idea is to build the cabinet out of 1/2 inch plywood. I could reinforce the lower part of the cabinet inside the 1/2 carcass with more 1/2 inch or even 3/4 inch. The oven is around 200 lbs so I think it needs the extra support. The back and right side of the cabinet would be screwed into the walls as much as needed for structural support.

All suggestions appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigJim; 10-23-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,612

Re: Help me find an inch in this cabinet.

Just for understanding. Do you need depth or width? It isn't clear in your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,514

Change the other wall to 2x3s
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 AM   #4
Endless Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Just for understanding. Do you need depth or width? It isn't clear in your post.
I need the inch or so in the width. I have over 2 inches to spare in the depth, which I am going to use to make a 26" cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Change the other wall to 2x3s
Initially I was going to redo the whole thing keeping the cubby for the oven. I was considering doing just that reframing both walls to thinner studs to make a 28.75 inch wide cubby to hold the oven in the cubby.

The one problem is the opposite wall is a hallway from the front of the home to the kitchen. I have made patches and can cover up a small area, fairly well, I doubt anyone can tell where I have made patches in the past. Unfortunately I can see them and have to look at them every time I pass the patched areas.

If I do reframe this hall, I am sure the patch and texture will be very obvious to everyone, especially me. I will possibly have to hire a sheetrocker to match the texture, spray/knock-down>
Old 10-24-2017, 04:27 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,612

Facing the oven, can you remove the left wall in its entirety? If so, you can replace it with an end panel, sort of like they do with refrigerators. Not sure how your oven is installed, but if it sits on a base, then it won't rely on the walls for support.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,188

I think you are saying that you have 28.75" to the face of the rotated 2X4, and you need 28.5".

Then how about as below? I am assuming there is another existing 2x4 behind the rotated 2x4. (It looks like its offset a little to provide a mounting surface to the drywall behind it.) You can build plywood shelves for storage above, but forget about plywood box around the stove.

(Actually, this theoretically gives you 29", but somehow things always end up a little bigger than the sum of the components)
Attached Thumbnails
Help me find an inch in this cabinet.-framing.jpg  

Last edited by SPS-1; 10-24-2017 at 08:23 AM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
retired framer

If we start over.
If you had left the wall in place and removed drywall on both sides just where the oven will go.
Then you could have cut another inch from the stud at the front of both walls.
That would give you the needed 3" then you could build cupboards above and or below and with trim make it look like the cupboards are the same width as the oven.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
Endless Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Facing the oven, can you remove the left wall in its entirety? If so, you can replace it with an end panel, sort of like they do with refrigerators. Not sure how your oven is installed, but if it sits on a base, then it won't rely on the walls for support.
I was considering this. I can remove that left wall entirely. At least the face that is there. However the back side of that wall needs to stay or at least the pieces of sheetrock that is there. The back side of this wall is the room that holds the furnace and is a pantry also.

On the wall that I demoed, I have left only the one stud that is still there, the perpendicular one. Initially there were two studs on either side of this perpendicular one. Instead of stud-block stud for framing a perpendicular wall we used a stud-stud-stud framing, with the middle stud being perpendicular. When I removed the studs in the wall. I removed the one stud that held the screws holding the sheetrock on the back side of this short wall. Currently this piece of sheetrock is only being held by the screws into the framing on the back wall, the screws into the bottom plate and the top plate. The stud holding it into the forward part of the wall has been removed. In the process some of the sheetrock was torn and there are still screws sticking out of this sheetrock. On the back side of this wall the sheetrock looks no worse for the wear. The tape mud and paint all look intact on this corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I think you are saying that you have 28.75" to the face of the rotated 2X4, and you need 28.5".
I have 29.75 to the rotated 2x4. The required cut out for the oven is 28.5. If I were to frame it in 3/4 inch cabinet I need 30" total, 30.25" would be prefered so I have some wiggle room in installing the oven.

Quote:
Then how about as below? I am assuming there is another existing 2x4 behind the rotated 2x4. (It looks like its offset a little to provide a mounting surface to the drywall behind it.)
Yes there is another 2x4 behind the perpendicular one. Read above about its structure. It is not offset the 2x4 catching the screws was removed. The only reason I have not removed this perpendicular is I fell I need the top and bottom plate to support the sheetrock on the wall behind and the sheetrock to frame the front of this wall.

Quote:
(It looks like its offset a little to provide a mounting surface to the drywall behind it.) You can build plywood shelves for storage above, but forget about plywood box around the stove.
Kind of what I was thinking, but since I have different dimensions than you had thought, here is my new plan.

This predicates there being no need to have sheetrock on this side of the cubby. Is there a code requiring sheetrock there?

Build a cabinet of 3/4" plywood for the bottom of this oven wall. Build a cabinet using 1/2 plywood sides to hold the oven to be placed on top of this 3/4" cabinet. Top this with another cabinet for the above oven storage.

If sheetrock is required to be on this left wall I will probably do the same plan as above but remove the sheetrock on the right hand wall and replace with 1/4 or 3/8" sheetrock and do the same on the left wall.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
Endless Projects

Here is what i hope the wall to look like eventually. With the connecting shelving to the left. I should be able to frame it all in wood trim to hide all the different pieces of cabinet.

I am hoping the sheetrock is not required on that left wall, as I can't get anything less than 1/2 sheetrock locally. Even 1/2 inch hickory ply is hard to come by.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me find an inch in this cabinet.-jh-kitchen-oven-wall-2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
Here is what i hope the wall to look like eventually. With the connecting shelving to the left. I should be able to frame it all in wood trim to hide all the different pieces of cabinet.

I am hoping the sheetrock is not required on that left wall, as I can't get anything less than 1/2 sheetrock locally. Even 1/2 inch hickory ply is hard to come by.
You can buy cupboard for ovens and the are made out of wood or pressed board so I don't think dry wall is required .
Photobug likes this.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,034

Quote:
You can buy cupboard for ovens and the are made out of wood or pressed board so I don't think dry wall is required .
Plus1 to what Nealtw said, i know of an installation of ovens installed in custom made cabinets.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
Endless Projects

I decided to go rustic for the cabinet. Here is the photo of my new install.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me find an inch in this cabinet.-20171025_143118.jpg  
Old 10-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
Endless Projects

Actually that is just for the test height. Wife wanted the cabinet lower but I want to put a deep drawer in there for bakeware and another for oven mitts and oven accessories. The 25 inch height works for the wife and gets me the space to make the drawers I want.

I will be cutting the cabinet parts today. To make this carcass strong enough to hold a 200 plus oven should I do anything different?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #14
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
I decided to go rustic for the cabinet. Here is the photo of my new install.
If that is going to work you likely could use a ready made over fridge cupboard with a kick and you should get close to the same height.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
Endless Projects

Quote:
If that is going to work you likely could use a ready made over fridge cupboard with a kick and you should get close to the same height.
I actually want to make all my cabinets myself, its been my plan for the last 20 years, and I now have the time and resources to do it. It's just I am in a jam to get quite a few projects done before 17 family members come to town for Thanksgiving.

I also have my "brand new" 50 year old Unisaw waiting to get put to the test.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement