Help Me Choose A Layout For My Basement Remodel (Pictures Attached) - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Help me choose a layout for my basement remodel (Pictures attached)

Help me choose! Basement remodel
Hey guys, we have an unfinished basement that we are going to finish and we have a few ways we can frame it. We need at least 1 bedroom and my wife wants a scrapbooking room. There are 2 ways to frame it but we can't decide on which one. 1. We would frame the bedroom against the 1st bedroom but we would be walking into the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. 2. We would frame the front of the basement (w/ the bump out of windows, same bump out on top, split level) and we would have somewhat of an open basement. I have attached some pictures to help. Thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by oh'mike; 08-12-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Removed link to competing forum---don't do that agaiin please
danreg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 292

To answer your question directly, between those two options, I prefer the first, where you come down into an open area. Make the back room the bedroom and the bay window room her scrapbooking room.

Personally I don't like walking down into a hallway which is why I dislike the second option. Can you get away without having that door at the base of the stairs? What is the room behind the bathroom? I assume utilities?
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

Money, thanks for the feedback. The door behind the bathroom is the utility room. Do you see any other way to frame this? I guess I am pretty limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

As my grandfather says, you are only limited in life by your wallet and your imagination! I would rather have the big beautiful bay window as a part of the main entertaining area rather than a scrapbooking room that nobody sees, but yes, you are a bit limited. In option 2, could you move the bar to the opposite side where the table is, and take out the wall between that room and the staircase? Why the small room next to the stairs?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 776

I like the second option if you get rid of the wall between the bar and the stairs. Is the bump out at the bottom of the pic facing the front of the house? Where is the sun coming from?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #6

Money, the small room next to the stairs is actually under the stairs going up and is about 4' ft tall. I don't really want to cover up the front windows but then I have to deal with a hallway. I guess there are pros and cons. Beepster, the bay windows are at the front of the house facing the west (bay goes all continues thru the second story). Maybe I will just tell the wife no scapbook room.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
DIY-er

Here is a layout that mirrors the common area witht the stairs attached to the main living area ...... and has a window in every room.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me choose a layout for my basement remodel (Pictures attached)-basement-layout.jpg  
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,332

Something to kep in mind with basements is tight/narrow doors and corners. It makes it hard to move furniture in and out when needed. I have a basement staircasein my house that is a straight shot from the entry door. I can not get furniture into the basement due to a narrow door at the top of the stairs. fortunatly, I have a Bilco entry at the back of the house that will allow me to get big stuff in. However, there is a tight corner I have to navigate around to get into the living area.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPh View Post
Here is a layout that mirrors the common area witht the stairs attached to the main living area ...... and has a window in every room.
Kevin, we have thought of that as well but the main plumbing stack is being hidden in bedroom 1 closet.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,130

Just be sure that bedroom has an egress window.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Just be sure that bedroom has an egress window.

Yes, it is a daylight basement so the slider windows is about 3-4 feet off of the ground.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreg99 View Post
Kevin, we have thought of that as well but the main plumbing stack is being hidden in bedroom 1 closet.
I thought Kevin was really onto something there, I like that layout. Does the "bedroom 1 closet" show up on your diagrams? Obviously I don't know how big what you're trying to hide is or how big the rooms are, could you frame tighly around it without putting it in a whole closet?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #13

Money, I forgot to add the closet in bedroom 1. The plumbing stack will be in the front framing of the closet. It is out about 16 inches from the foundation wall and is 4" pvc. How would you frame around that to look half ways decent?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
... I prefer the first, where you come down into an open area...
Me too, in fact can you double the width of the stairway? Make the downstairs flow just like any other level of a split level home.

puttster
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,264

Because of the stairs I would go with option 1.
More open feel.
Make the Bay window room the bedroom and the smaller room the scrap booking room?

In laws had similar to option 2 and it worked OK.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement