Header Span For A Non-load Bearing Wall Holding Up Ceiling - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Header span for a non-load bearing wall holding up ceiling

I've got this kitchen straight out of the 1940's and after long enough time, we decided to do something about it.

I've had to tear out hundreds of pounds of tile attached the old fashioned way with metal latices and inch thick plaster holding down the tiles.

I've got way too much knob and tube wiring all over the place that I've been systematically cutting out and not to mention the soffets that left me with just under 12" of space between the countertop and wall cabinets.

Anyways, cutting my kitchen in half was this big ol' wall that is definitely not load bearing, but it is holding up the other half of the kitchen ceiling. The other half is lower because it's underneath the bathroom and it's got all the pipes and what not running through it.

I've currently got the ceiling already being held up by jacks and have gotten rid of just about the whole wall and I plan on building a 10 foot header across the kitchen to attach to the 2x4's to keep that ceiling up.

I've gotten a couple recommendations to either:
A) Use two 2x8's up against the ends of the 2x4's in the ceiling and screw one 2x8 into the 2x4's and then screw another 2x8 into the first one.

B) One 2x8 and then use joist hangers to hold up the 2x4's

c) One 2x6 header propping up the ends of the 2x4's (drawback is that it will then be a section of the ceiling that is lower than both halves of the kitchen ceiling)

So my question is, which would make more sense, or do you have a better fourth option. Also, is a 2x8 necessary or would a 2x6 do the trick for either of these options, keeping in mind this is not a load bearing wall but it is still bearing a load.

I'll post some pictures shortly from my phone.
HandyDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

Re: Header span for a non-load bearing wall holding up ceiling

Here is the progression so you can see what was there and what's there now.
Attached Thumbnails
Header span for a non-load bearing wall holding up ceiling-1525460931206.jpg   Header span for a non-load bearing wall holding up ceiling-1525460961004.jpg   Header span for a non-load bearing wall holding up ceiling-1525460982607.jpg   Header span for a non-load bearing wall holding up ceiling-1525461005321.jpg   Header span for a non-load bearing wall holding up ceiling-1525461047590.jpg  

HandyDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
header , kitchen remodel , load bearing wall