Hardwood Floor Repair Weaving - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 12-01-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Cas

Rewards Points: 42

Hardwood floor repair weaving

I had a wall removed in our kitchen and needed to repair the floor where the wall was. I hired a contractor that weaved / laced the floor. After I paid and a few week later we noticed that some boards that he weaved would move up and down. If we slide a chair over that section, the chair will stop. when we walk on it we can feel the difference. The contractor refuses to come and fix the problem. He won't even look at the floor. Says it was not his problem because I had built a pantry over the patched floor before it was sanded. I have hired a lawyer and they have sent a letter, but he still does not feel that he did anything wrong. Although he did say he would come and fix but never does.

I have gotten an estimate to repair for $1300.

Question: What is the proper way to 'patch' a floor where a wall once was? The area were the wall was is patched with small pieces of wood.
sOmeone had told me there is a profession call 'Hardwood Inspector". Could not find one in my area. If someone on this forum knows of one or is one, please let me know.

This contractor advertises on the site called 'Thumbtack'. Although we found him on 'NextDoor'.

We may have to go to small claims court.

I have attached some pics to see better. I tried attaching a video .mp4 but would not allow a video. A video really shows the problem compared to a image. Any help is appreciated.

Cas Nowak
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood floor repair weaving-before-pantry-weave-2017-0815-.jpg   Hardwood floor repair weaving-img_20170820_224101557.jpg   Hardwood floor repair weaving-image-loose-floor.jpg  

Last edited by takes-time; 12-01-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added more info
takes-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,432

Re: Hardwood floor repair weaving

If the boards move up and down they need to be nailed better. You could face nail those boards and then fill in the nail hole with colored putty to match - no need to refinish. And while the pantry might have complicated sanding a little, I can't see where it has any effect of boards being loose.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Cas

Thanks Mark, I did think of that but if they get nailed down like that then the the bord next may be higher or lower.. having the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,432

Is this a floating floor? I was assuming it was a nail down floor in which case each board should be securely nailed to the subfloor via the tongue.
Dave Sal likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Did the lawyer's letter say that you will have it repaired & bill him? That's the best way to go, if you really think that he owes you.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,874

How long was the patch material in the house before he did the work?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Cas

The repair patch work was down probably about 1-2 mo.. before sanding and coating. I could get a closer time if I check some pic dates. Are you thinking it was down too long without having something done.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:55 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takes-time View Post
The repair patch work was down probably about 1-2 mo.. before sanding and coating. I could get a closer time if I check some pic dates. Are you thinking it was down too long without having something done.
No it should be in the house long enough so it has the same moisture content as the rest of the floor. If it was much dryer it could swell after it was installed but you would expect that to show up in the time waiting to be sanded.

When the weave like that they cut the bottom of the grove off in order to get them in, that would leave that side of the board needing face nails.
He may have faced nailed with a pin nailer to make it show less they would not have a lot of holding power especially if he nailed them straight down.

That said I would repair it with a pin nailer but nail on an angle, that would leave a tiny hole to deal with
Old 12-02-2018, 11:58 PM   #9
Cas

I remember he knocked off the tongue on the side of the wood. But don't remember on which boards.. I think he did that to several boards. I remember he would hammer several in from the end. when doing the last board how would that be installed since it has the tongue on one side? He used some spare wood to fill in the section where the wall was.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
I remember he knocked off the tongue on the side of the wood. But don't remember on which boards.. I think he did that to several boards. I remember he would hammer several in from the end. when doing the last board how would that be installed since it has the tongue on one side? He used some spare wood to fill in the section where the wall was.
Go to about 840 on this video and see how he finishes.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Cas

WOW!!! He never did anything like that... Of course he had about 10-12 pieces to do... Would you do the same thing for several pieces??? And then he used a lot of wood putty as you can see from the picture..
Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
retired framer

Quote:
WOW!!! He never did anything like that... Of course he had about 10-12 pieces to do... Would you do the same thing for several pieces??? And then he used a lot of wood putty as you can see from the picture..
He had to do something like that for the last piece or few last pieces. I haven't done enough to say I could do a better job.
When install the floor only one side gets nailed and the T&G hold the other side. So when they slide in a long repair piece there are no nails on either board on one side of that board. I would assume that would be face nailed.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
Cas

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
retired framer

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate all your comments.
I was hoping some flooring guys would comment.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
Cas

Yes hopefully, some flooring guys will jump in here... And if there is a official Flooring Inspector that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hardwood floor lacing , hardwood repair , weaving a hardwood floor