"Good" Tile - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

"Good" tile

I am going to put porcelain tile in my bedrooms in a few months. (There is carpet now.) I want to do 20 x 20 tile with small grout lines.

I spent several hours reading over on the Contractor forum. The contractors there mentioned several times about homeowners who picked cheap tile, and they didn't want to do an installation unless good tile was used.

So, how do I tell what is "good" tile? I'll be looking at tile over the next few weeks at a couple of tile distributors that sell retail. What do I look for to make sure it isn't horrible tile? I don't want to spend over $4/sq. ft. Does that mean my budget is on the cheap side?
SAH54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

What is under the floor.Subfloor and joist size and spacing.First thing you need to do is check the floors deflection.Especially for large format tiles.
If it's on a slab it would not have hurt to put that in your OP.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (03-08-2015), oh'mike (03-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

You can get good tile for less than $1/square foot.

I shy away from tile larger than 12x12 because of lippage. It is difficult to find a flat floor. I've laid some 16x16 and it was fine, but I checked over the floor closely first.

The main problem I have with the quality of tile is the sizing. If you don't have rectified tile, the tile may vary by 1/16th or more. This may not sound like a big deal, but when you have 4/16th's in a row, you are off by a 1/4".

But this can be dealt with. You have to forget the tile spacers and just set the tile with different joint sizes. So if you are using 1/8" joint lines and you have a oversized tile, that joint line changes to 1/16". This is why you need larger joint lines when you are working with irregular sized tile.

Another way to deal with irregular sized tile to is to size them in advance and design your layout around the problem. I once bought a buttload of tile and there were different sizes. That is when I learned what Caliber in Italian meant. They were clearly marked. So I took them and sorted them out and I laid in a random running bond. So there was no problem. I laid a course of 11 7/8" tile, then a course of 11 5/8" You just have to have enough of the size you are laying to complete a course. In a 12' room, you have to have 12 tile to complete a course. No big deal. But on a bathroom wall, you may need 26 tiles to complete a course in a 5x8 bathroom.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

While I do not know why one would need to know what the subfloor is when I only asked for what constitutes a "good" tile, the home is on a concrete slab. I have 16 x 16 inch ceramic tile in the kitchen and dining room, and I remember there was nothing done to make the floor was flat. The tile has been down almost 20 years, and there have been no problems.

I was planning on purchasing rectified tile. I went to a flooring retail store, and they had a 20 x 20 inch tile for $2.99/sq. ft.

Again, I wonder what to look for to decide if I am purchasing a "good" tile or not.
SAH54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Just trying to help a person with little experience with large format tile solve any problems before you run into them.
That won't happen again

Just get the cheap stuff at HD.You'll be fine with your vast knowledge.

Last edited by mako1; 03-16-2015 at 08:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
costgeek (03-30-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAH54 View Post
While I do not know why one would need to know what the subfloor is when I only asked for what constitutes a "good" tile, the home is on a concrete slab. I have 16 x 16 inch ceramic tile in the kitchen and dining room, and I remember there was nothing done to make the floor was flat. The tile has been down almost 20 years, and there have been no problems.

I was planning on purchasing rectified tile. I went to a flooring retail store, and they had a 20 x 20 inch tile for $2.99/sq. ft.

Again, I wonder what to look for to decide if I am purchasing a "good" tile or not.
What you really meant is thanks for the heads up so that I don't make the same mistake that many others do by going ahead and installing tile on an inadequate sub-strate guaranteeing that my. Job will fail in short order. THEN you say laying direct on concrete. Whatever. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #7

Thank you Ron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement