Getting A House Ready To Sell. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryan n Deb
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By BIG Johnson
  • 1 Post By NotYerUncleBob2
  • 1 Post By Guap0_

Old 01-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 174

Getting a house ready to sell.

Maybe not remodeling but planning to sell in the spring to build a new house. Looking for ideas to help this old house. Like, the hollow core doors for the bedrooms and bath, Dirty and slightly scratched up. Aside from a complete refinish what can I do to spruce them up?

I would rather discount the house some for repairs than to install all new that the new homeowner might not like anyway. (like carpet)
Nealtw likes this.
Bryan n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,594

Re: Getting a house ready to sell.

You are on the right track. Making changes and upgrades just for the sake of making them in order to "make the buyer happy" is not the right approach. Let them give you a letter of contingency stipulating what they want. You may surely get by with a small remuneration and not have to lift a finger for the wrong fix.

Filling gouges and painting the doors would be the best way of remedying this.
Guap0_ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan n Deb View Post
Maybe not remodeling but planning to sell in the spring to build a new house. Looking for ideas to help this old house. Like, the hollow core doors for the bedrooms and bath, Dirty and slightly scratched up. Aside from a complete refinish what can I do to spruce them up?

I would rather discount the house some for repairs than to install all new that the new homeowner might not like anyway. (like carpet)
Before you list it, rent storage and make it look roomy add paint and make it smell nice, clean windows etc.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I agree w/ Chandler. It doesn't pay to put a lot of money into the house when some young couple, particularly the wife will say to her husband, Honey, I want a new kitchen & a new......"
Do some touch-ups & some painting & that's it unless the front stoop is sinking into the ground. I actually saw that once.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #5

House was built for us in 91. It was not abused but it was lived in. We already have a storage unit and its filling up fast. I thought about painting the doors but do not think it will look right. Pretty sure I will have to have exterior doors installed.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Guapo

Why won't the interior doors look right & why do you need to replace entrance doors?
Old 01-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #7

And the railings going downstairs.........YUCK! Why did I not notice this years ago, they are almost sticky, gummy.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
Why won't the interior doors look right & why do you need to replace entrance doors?
Interior doors and trim are all stained light oak, just think it would look funny painted?? The ext door facing west is sun baked so bad the plastic trim around the window fell off and the main entrance door is rusting out.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 898

Clean, declutter and paint the walls.
Bryan n Deb likes this.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 968

Don't spend too much money. You only really need to make your house look like somewhere that the next person coming in can picture themselves living in. Some people get hung up on stupid things. If the house looks dirty they can't picture it as anything but a dirty house.
Clean, clean, clean. Declutter. Get rid of any personal photos. Fix noticeable things like door knobs that don't work.
Clean up the landscape. Just a little pruning, edging, mowing, and some fertilizer will go a long way. Wash the house.
If your furniture isn't that nice, consider hiring a staging company to make it look nice and put in some nice pieces of furniture that will compliment your house.
Get a good real estate agent. They'll be able to give you an objective opinion on your house and also know enough about the neighborhood to know what sells and also what you don't need to do.
Bryan n Deb likes this.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #11
Guapo

Deb & Bryan, re-stain the doors instead of painting. If the front door & window are rotted, replace them. Those are the first things that buyers see.
Bryan n Deb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement