Gas Lights - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Gas Lights

I want to get gas lights for my patio. Can I switch them on and off so they don't have to run all the time?
Karapind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Why? Are you living off the grid?
They sell light bulbs that look like flickering flames.
gregzoll (01-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,206

may be illegal to install gas appliances w/o shutoff but you didn't post your location as the site asks so not certain,,, down here, we used turn off our gas lights during the daytime ( my bride's ( nagzilla ) idea - thought we'd save $ ),,, gas line shutoff was 30' distant so it was turn on gas then run to light 'em,,, spent more $ replacing mantles than saved on gas.

think 40w/60w bulbs are now illegal in usa since obama but can't blame him,,, he probably only read about it after directive was mandated by 1 of his administration's agencies.

Last edited by stadry; 01-11-2014 at 06:38 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,652

If I was going to have them they would have valves at each fixture so they could be turned on/off and adjusted.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #5

A permanently installed gas lantern will have either a manual burner with a shut off valve or an electrically controlled ignition system. With a manual burner you can either let it run all the time at a cost of $8-10 per month or you can just open and close the valve and manually light it when needed.

An electronic ignition system will allow you to control the gas lantern just like a standard electric light. When you flip the switch on the gas valve opens and the light ignites automatically, when you flip the switch off the gas supply is cut off and the flame is extinguished.

The igniter while neat and useful can be quite expensive. Many igniters will add $300-700 to the cost of a gas light. Plus you have the extra cost of running gas and electricity to each lantern. And remember that the electrical components in an ignition system have a set lifespan so by the time you pay off the extra cost of the igniter you may have to replace it.

For more info check out http://frenchmarketlanterns.com/ligh...ppersmith.html
fmlanterns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #6

I want to put them on the columns that are around the outdoor living space. They will be covered from direct weather, but the space isn't enclosed. We don't live "off the grid" and flicker bulbs are sad little things that only remind me of trick-or-treating in 1982. I have a plumber scheduled to come see the space next week. I'm hoping he'll have some good information for us.
Karapind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gas lights