Gas Or Electric - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Rze
Average Joe

Rewards Points: 111

Gas or Electric

Selling my In-Laws house as they have both passed. House was on the market and then we had a broken pipe flood, as a result, kitchen had to be gutted.

I will not say who wanted what between my wife and I, however want input.

First, there is electric and gas in the kitchen.

One person wants to install an electric over (220v) since the cost of the appliance is cheaper.

One person wants to install Gas (120v).

Thoughts?
Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,086

Re: Gas or Electric

so long as you're avoiding dual fuel, in my experience the cost of gas/electric is pretty slim if you shop around.

that said, gas is "nicer" to cook on than electric, but requires significantly more venting (i.e. a range hood that actually goes outside), unless you like inhaling exhaust for hours after you finish cooking.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,826

Gas is for cooks. I would say it depends on the level ($$$) of remodel. A high-end kitchen should have dual fuel or gas. Although you can get really nice electric, I usually see those in more modest kitchens or put in by owners paranoid about fire.

Keep both hookups there, and I don't see how the exhaust changes for the burner type.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,203

I would think a lot of people who cook would prefer gas. But a lot of people don't upgrade to gas, because they don't have gas lines in place.

And you do, so I'd go with gas.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 604

If you are selling I would go with electric. Cheaper to buy and some people are afraid of gas. Leave the gas connection for people who might change later.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Gas is for cooks. I would say it depends on the level ($$$) of remodel. A high-end kitchen should have dual fuel or gas. Although you can get really nice electric, I usually see those in more modest kitchens or put in by owners paranoid about fire.

Keep both hookups there, and I don't see how the exhaust changes for the burner type.
burning gas creates combustion byproducts, which you then inhale.
boiling water on an electric stove requires no ventilation.
boiling water on a gas stove requires ventilation.

in most places, a window is "code" for kitchen ventilation. lol.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/doc...lution-cooking

Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 03-07-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,826

Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
burning gas creates combustion byproducts, which you then inhale.
boiling water on an electric stove requires no ventilation.
boiling water on a gas stove requires ventilation.

in most places, a window is "code" for kitchen ventilation. lol.
Most codes will require kitchen ventilation either by mechanical or natural means. My point was the requirement for this does not change with gas or electric.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Most codes will require kitchen ventilation either by mechanical or natural means. My point was the requirement for this does not change with gas or electric.
if you've ever used the self clean feature on an oven, or cooked something on high heat, you'd probably agree that code minimum isn't worth the paper it's written on.

it's also fun to note that code allows the installation of 400+CFM exhaust fans, but makes no provisions for providing makeup air, nevermind touching on the concept of effective ventilation.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
Retired Handyman/Painter

Rewards Points: 1,230

I would leave it open for now ~ since you are probably going
to put it back on the market anyway.
and set aside some $$.$$ to put in whatever the buyer wants.
make the exhaust hood for gas during the reno and it will fit
either of the applications once the choice is made.
this may be a selling point in your favor to accommodate the new
homeowner with what they want in the kitchen.

gas is for COOKS - electricity is to run all your big shop tools.

Last edited by Johnny_inFL; 03-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Johnny_inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,954

I have a duel-fuel stove and absolutely love it.

Statistically electric is more popular than gas, however since your selling, I say don't bother with either and let the buyer get what they want.

You could also make a deal with the buyer to have one of their choice installed contingent upon finalization of the sale providing the buyer pays for the stove.

Speaking from my own experience, when I bought my house it had an electric stove I absolutely hated. I would have been happy if there was no stove at the time so I could just put my own in.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Since when was it essential to leave or include appliances. I have only left or included them if I didn't want them. I certainly would not buy new for a sale. The new owner may have their own, or may want something different then the appliance that would be installed for a sale.
lenaitch likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,018

If you are planning to list the house with appliances included, go with the cheapest option which is likely electric.

I thought there was a specified vent clearance for gas which either may be different for electric (or there is no clearance specified for electric) but pros will know better.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 484

There are many more options today with regard to cooktops. The large gas ones are important if you are running a restaurant production kitchen and need to make a wide range of dishes, each with their own cooking requirements, as quickly as possible. For home use the situation is completely different.

With our small kitchen area of 10 x 15 feet we needed to make every inch count and electric cooktops make a lot better use of space as a single burner location can be 8" or at the flip of a switch a 12" cooking surface for larger pans.An electric with the smooth glass surface takes seconds to clean whereas with gas burners stuff collects and some disassembly is needed. With electric there are heating elements that only heat up when a metal pan is on top of them and so no risk of burns.

I cooked with gas the first 20 years and then went to electric and with our kitchen remodel I looked at gas cooktops in showrooms but they were poorly designed and clunky looking. With gas I would have also had less space available under the cooktop and I put in a standard depth drawer under the cooktop where we put spices and pot holders - no way to have down this with the depth needed by a gas cooktop.
I also needed to install a special large gas pressure regulator now required by code and this would have reduced the depth of the pull out shelves under the cooktop by 8 inches. And it would have cost $1000 to run the new gas line which also needed to be a larger diameter one to be able to supply the kitchen (check the charts for BTU's needed and distance from the gas meter to determine the diameter of the gas supply pipe needed).

A separate issue is the power of your house's service panel. Ours is only 100 AMPs and the local utility monopoly wanted over $10,000 to provide 200 AMP service and so we have stayed at 100 AMPs. Then it becomes a matter of load balancing and having a gas clothes dryer and stove would free up some panel capacity for other uses. But we stayed with gas for the furnace and the hot water heater and our fireplace insert and use electricity for everything else with the cost mitigated by the solar panels on our roof (total electrical bill for the year is $60).

But there is a lot of fuzzy thinking about gas being better because it is used by quick order cooks in a cafe and so much be better for cooking meals at home where the requirements are completely different. When we are cooking for guests we know in advance what we will be preparing and how quickly a burner heats up is of no consequence.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rze View Post
Selling my In-Laws house as they have both passed. House was on the market and then we had a broken pipe flood, as a result, kitchen had to be gutted.

I will not say who wanted what between my wife and I, however want input.

First, there is electric and gas in the kitchen.

One person wants to install an electric over (220v) since the cost of the appliance is cheaper.

One person wants to install Gas (120v).

Thoughts?
are you talking stove or oven?

The "ideal" set up is gas for a cooktop and double electric wall ovens.

If you're talking stove people who cook prefer a gas stovetop.

I don't know how much cheaper, or your price bracket, but I think you should get gas, stainless, self cleaning

gas in my area people view as a plus. Putting in a new stove thats electric when you have gas to save $100 makes me wonder where else you cut corners.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 6,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

gas in my area people view as a plus. Putting in a new stove thats electric when you have gas to save $100 makes me wonder where else you cut corners.

While I prefer a gas cook top I have an electric. And there can be no argument about the walls and ceilings being cleaner with electric.

And we cook and fry far more than the average person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement