Garage Conversion - 2x4 Beam Placement - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Conversion - 2x4 Beam Placement

Hello all, I'm looking to convert my garage into a game-room and was going to dry-wall the ceiling and walls. The issue I've ran into are these diagonal beams that run in only two corners of the garage (See pictures below).

This corner as well, sorry for picture quality

Was looking at maybe cutting these beams out as they interfere with placing 2x4 beams along the ceiling but wasn't sure if these diagonal beams were a cosmetic thing or are a must. Suggestions? Thank you.
draik161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,638

Re: Garage Conversion - 2x4 Beam Placement

They were installed to keep the garage from racking during construction. You can remove them and place them on top of your new joists and attach them down if you wish. No harm should come in their removal. I do hope you are going to do more than 4' OC joists (not beams) for better support.
RickMacKay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,692

It looks like you have a hip roof (no gable), the structure of the roof will hold the building square and drywall will add to that rigidity. You should not store stuff on 2x4 rafter ties. If you want to store stuff up there go with joists, 2x8 or 2x10s. If you go with 24" on center go with 5/8 drywall, well it should be 5/8 anyway.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
They were installed to keep the garage from racking during construction. You can remove them and place them on top of your new joists and attach them down if you wish. No harm should come in their removal. I do hope you are going to do more than 4' OC joists (not beams) for better support.
Okay thank you, my plans were to install 2x4x20' in between whats currently up there. Which should make it 24" apart.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by draik161 View Post
Okay thank you, my plans were to install 2x4x20' in between whats currently up there. Which should make it 24" apart.
Okay thank you, I have one other question that maybe either you or @chandler48 can help me with. We have a water heater in the garage and not too sure on what ventilation is needed for it. It sits in the corner of our garage and is a 40,000 BTU water heater. The garage also has a vent (See below) that we are not too sure of what it is used for but we assume it is to ventilate the water heater. Our plan was to build a wall 5 ft out from the garage door which will create a separate area for the water heater and the vent (See below). Is this a good option? Or is there a better one that will save us some space? Thanks

Here's the vent:

Here's the water heater:

Here's a map of what we plan to do:
Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Naildriver

You'll need make up air for combustion, but not too much as it could cause the unit to freeze. Your location is not in your profile, so we don't know if you have that potential problem or not.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
You'll need make up air for combustion, but not too much as it could cause the unit to freeze. Your location is not in your profile, so we don't know if you have that potential problem or not.
Sorry, I'm from California. What would be an ideal amount of area for air?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:12 AM   #8
Naildriver

The make up air doesn't necessarily have to come from the outside atmosphere. If you vent the door that closes up the water heater to allow it to pull air from the garage, it will be sufficient. I've never seen a hermetically sealed garage, as they all leak air around the doors, etc. In California, as long as the weather isn't a problem, outside air would be fine. A 4x10 screened vent in the wall will admit enough air and keep boogers out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement