Front Room Ceiling Issue - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Front room Ceiling issue

Hi
I am new here and I need some idea with my ceiling in my living room. The house was built back in the 50 and the issue that I am having is my living room and dinning room is connected with no walls to separate them. On the ceiling they had a board that went across to dived the two section. I removed the board and put patching material to smooth it out. The issue is that the paint on the ceiling is flaking off where the board was and along the walls. Any idea how I can fix this problem with out trying to resurface the whole ceiling and keep a tight budget? I try use patching material where the paint pulled off but then I get another spot that will start to flake off.
Thanks
Buddy60
buddy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,544

If the paint is coming off, it was probably not applied correctly in the first place.

So it is going to all flake off eventually. And there is no inexpensive repair, will need to remove it all and start over with the right base first.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

In my house the former owner went nuts with the paint. I had to replace receptacles, register grates and covers for light switch. I guess if I had to remove the old paint I will plan for it this summer. I feel that the paint may contain lead and which means I will have to be caution with the project.
buddy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,704

A pic or 2 will help us to help you.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,438

Don't worry about the lead. Just don't sand it and if you have an infant, make sure infant doesn't get to it.
Paint can flake off because the wall/ceiling material is deteriorating from moisture issues as well as age. But it looks like previous owner did not care. That means, the old paint was not cleaned for new paint (cooking oil, etc), semi gloss not primed, thick one coat "floating" on old coat, old latex on oil, new coat over dusty wall. Only thing you can do is new sheetrock over old and start over. Inspect for moisture issues, esp if above is attic.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement