Framing Subfloor Over Hardwood - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 281

Framing Subfloor Over Hardwood

On my raised foundation house the previous homeowner remodeled an extra room by basically making a new doorway in an exterior wall which enters into the new addition. The subfloor on the addition is a slab with hardwood installed over it. The floor in the remodeled room is about 8 inches below the existing floor and I would like to raise it to the same height.

I would like some advice on how to go about framing the subfloor which would sit on top of the hardwood flooring. My thoughts are to nail a 2x members to the walls then run joists which would basically sit on the hardwood and shim it if needed. The room is well insulated so I don't think I would have any issues with moisture. I'm afraid of installing a moisture barrier on the hardwood because that could cause the hardwood is rot. I'd rather have the moisture move through the floor.. I'd like your thoughts on this.
seephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

You plan sounds ok.
My main concern would be if that addition was built on top of an old slab and it was pored right on grade.
The concern being water being able to get in under the walls.
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,252

seephor...This is where it helps to put in your location....the best solution is very dependent on where you live.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 281

Thanks for the reply guys. I checked today and it looks like they poured about 3" of concrete on top of the existing patio concrete. So it's 3" off the water level.

My location is in Southern California Los Angeles area. I measured today and it looks like I need to raise the floor 8" so 2x8 joists would be perfect which gives me 1/2" space under them which I can shim for added support.

I'm going to install a 3/4" plywood subfloor now my question is should I do 16" OC spacing or can I get away with 24" OC?

I also think it would be a good idea to install some fiberglass insulation between the joists mainly for noise reduction. Any concerns with that?
seephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement