Framing Issues Discovered During Kitchen Remodel - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 528

Framing issues discovered during kitchen remodel

My house is 90 years old and the problems I discovered after tearing off the lath and plaster donít seem to be affecting the structure - ie: there is no sagging, etc., so I am tempted to let sleeping dogs lie. On the other hand, if there ever was a time to correct these issues, it is now. Looking for input from the experts.

First issue - someone in the past cut a 2Ē notch, up from the bottom of a 2x8 joist, right in the middle of a 12 foot span. Best remedy? (Picture 1)

Second issue (part A) - there is an archway between the kitchen and a small eating area. The span is about 7 feet. The 4x8 beam supporting the span is not bearing correctly on the framing. On one end it bears on a stubby 2x4 that is ultimately supported by double horizontal 2x4 nailed across the stud bay. On the other end it is simply toe nailed to the side of a 2x4 stud. And there is more... (part B) immediately beside the end of the beam, someone haphazardly removed studs to create a recess for a fridge. So there is considerable weight bearing on one 2x4. I think I know what I am going to do but would like to hear from others.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing issues discovered during kitchen remodel-df90c306-312e-4dc6-83f7-54c06a68d397.jpeg   Framing issues discovered during kitchen remodel-2a4afcb7-e72c-4aee-8eaf-913b173833c4.jpeg   Framing issues discovered during kitchen remodel-0a434886-d75a-412d-a365-d1846e5fda8f.jpeg  
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,616

Re: Framing issues discovered during kitchen remodel

The one thing working in your favor is very old, old growth lumber that can take much more abuse than todays lumber.
You could screw a 2x4 about 4 ft long to the joist with the notch.
Almost every header we put in a house is double 2x10 now, look at the headers over you windows.
That said I would still do something with the headers. I would remove the arch curves or cut enough to slide a stud in under the beam. The other one I would leave the two top plates and rip that out and put some kind of header with a stud under both ends
Then have a look below the floor because bearing points like that should have support right to the footing. It might stand like that for another hundred years but it would be a shame not to fix it while you have it open and not much more than an hours work.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Windows (03-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement