Framing Basement Walls On Shallow Floors - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing Basement Walls on Shallow Floors

I'm looking to insulate and frame out an area of my basement. My question revolves around attaching the bottom plate to the concrete slab. I discovered that some of the concrete that goes over the top of my footing was weakened and cracked. I removed the compromised concrete only to find that the 4" floor was poured so that only about an inch, if that, of the floor goes over the top of the footing. Then at the edge of the footing, the floor goes to a depth of 4". I've attached a drawing to help illustrate this.

I'm assuming that the cracked portion of floor over the footing was due to settling early on. However, even when I patch the inch of concrete over the footing, it will still be weak due to it's lack of thickness. If I attach my bottom plate into the floor, the fastener would go straight through the floor into the footing. Is this okay? I'm assuming not. In order for me to be able to attach the bottom plate into the area of the floor that is 4", I would have to come off the wall about 8" which would drastically cut down on space in an already small area. I've thought about furring the wall to avoid framing, but the walls are not very straight and my finished wall would look wavy. Any suggestions?

I live in Minneapolis, MN and the house was built in 1916. I believe the house was raised in the 40's which is when the wall and floor would have been built.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Framing Basement Walls on Shallow Floors-basement.jpg  
Brett1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,124

Liquid nails and and a (rather) few tapcons.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
Brett1210 (03-27-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry to hijack the thread. I a have a similar issue. We had a French drain installed for water proofing the basement. The concrete over the drain is not very thick and I was told to not drill or screw into it. The folks who did the waterproofing told me to use piqued nails "only" to attach the bottom plate. Any thoughts on this approach.
From a Buick 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 298

I would still use some 2" tapcons
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 504

Shoot some Ramset nails in the plate and it will be fine.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement