Foundation Cracks - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Foundation Cracks

My wife and I have ran into many issues with a house we bought 2 years ago. We have slowly been forced to remodel the basement (Mold discovered after purchase, asbestos in the drywall mud, etc). When removing the asbestos laden drywall, we discovered some decent cracks in the foundation. We were told the cracks were called bow-tie cracks (appearance is that of a bow-tie). The cracks are on 3 of my 4 basement walls. We also have some very slight water intrusion in one of the cracks.

My wife and I plan to be in this house for many years and would like to get the cracks repaired correctly. We live in Colorado, which as many of you know has some terrible soil in spots.

I had a local structural company come out and assess the house and suggested 2 different solutions to fix our crack situation. Both of these range from $11,000 - $17,000. The gentleman also suggested us drilling holes, inserting PVC pipe and injecting expanding cement into the cracks.

Here is where I need help. We want to fix this the right way and know we need to get a structural engineer out to our house to assess the cracks. Any suggestions on how to find the right structural engineer? Also, with water intrusion into the basement should we handle the crack a different way?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.
SammD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement