Flooring To Replace Knocked Down Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Question

Flooring to replace knocked down wall

I'm knocking down a non-load bearing wall between my living room and kitchen. The new span will be 15' wide by approximately 6". The living room is carpeted with a thick pad and the kitchen has a thin vinyl/linoleum.

I'm uncertain as to what to use in between the the two existing floor coverings. I paced around Lowes for some time today looking at options.

I was thinking a single 5 1/2" laminate floor board with a reducer to the vinyl but I'm not certain how solid this would end up if adhering to the subfloor.

My other thought was to get the proper length of 6" x 1" red oak boards and use my router to step down the end on the vinyl side but I'm afraid 1" will be too thick. I would stain and varnish it to make it look real nice.

I also found a tall baseboard molding that was made out of a hardwood but it wasn't quite wide enough to cover the whole space that the wall + moldings are covering.

Using any type of tile or stone would be out of the question (pet peeve of my wife.)

Any suggestions on what to use to cover the "void"?

Last edited by MikeMurphyINC; 01-09-2016 at 06:30 PM.
MikeMurphyINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

You can put in a transitional wood threshold , the cheapest solution. Or you can change one of the rooms and extend the flooring into the gap.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

I couldn't find a transitional piece that was 6" wide. I searched all over Lowes. Did I miss it somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

I make custom ones for all of the remodels I do.Do you have access to a thickness planer?
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I make custom ones for all of the remodels I do.Do you have access to a thickness planer?
Possibly. Two of my neighbors do a lot of woodwork. Do you have pictures of how some of them have come out?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #6

I can't go t a customers home to take a pic for you but here is a pic of a sample I made for a current job.
These are made with a thickness planer and a simple jig from shop scrap.They can be made any width,with one straight edge or a thickened edge on one side depending on the transition from room to room.
Attached Thumbnails
Flooring to replace knocked down wall-untitled-2.jpg   Flooring to replace knocked down wall-dscn0936.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
MikeMurphyINC (01-13-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
I can't go t a customers home to take a pic for you but here is a pic of a sample I made for a current job.
These are made with a thickness planer and a simple jig from shop scrap.They can be made any width,with one straight edge or a thickened edge on one side depending on the transition from room to room.
This is excellent. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #8

Question

Quote:
Do you have to have a special planer to do that?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphyINC View Post
Do you have to have a special planer to do that?
It's just a standard thickness planer with a jig.First you plane the stock to the final thickness. If you want the stock 5" wide you take a piece of 3/4" stock 1/2" wider and long enough to go from the end of the infeed table to the end of the outfeed table.Screw a piece of 1/2" square stock to one edge (top edge) to act as a guide for the stock.Then screw a piece of stock on the opposite edge (bottom)to hold the piece at the angle that you want the bevel.Clamp this to the infeed and outfeed tables and your good to go.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
It's just a standard thickness planer with a jig.First you plane the stock to the final thickness. If you want the stock 5" wide you take a piece of 3/4" stock 1/2" wider and long enough to go from the end of the infeed table to the end of the outfeed table.Screw a piece of 1/2" square stock to one edge (top edge) to act as a guide for the stock.Then screw a piece of stock on the opposite edge (bottom)to hold the piece at the angle that you want the bevel.Clamp this to the infeed and outfeed tables and your good to go.
Does the groove cut out on the under side serve a purpose?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,474

The groove on the underside helps to prevent warping.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
MikeMurphyINC (01-17-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the inspiration! I ended up cutting the slant with a table saw and did the rest with a router table. Oh and a moderate amount of sanding there are three pieces like this. In one I will route vent holes in for the cold air return that was on the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Flooring to replace knocked down wall-12547394_949220831820701_29455138_n.jpg  

Last edited by MikeMurphyINC; 01-24-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement