Fix My Mess: Porch Seeping Water To Interior Under Brick Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Thumbs down

Fix my mess: Porch seeping water to interior under brick wall

Hi everybody- first post, but it's good one. Seeking input on an inherited mess. House was built in 1925 and at some point a decision was made to build an interior room on what was probably going to be an exterior porch. I say "probably" based on what the neighbors houses look like. This may have happened during the original construction or afterwards. Here's the mess- the exterior brick wall was actually laid on top of the front porch terra cotta tiles (they don't build 'em like they used to?). It was obvious from the smell of the room that water was coming in. Once the wall was opened up I found footer and bottoms of the studs completely rotted. My gut tells me I need to remove each of the tiles under this wall (about an 10 ft. span) and replace with mortar, one at a time. Am I right? or is there another (better) to approach this? thanks! Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Fix my mess: Porch seeping water to interior under brick wall-yep-brickontileporch.png  
robotico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

does that stud float in the air ? like the pic shows .

make a few more posts, about anything. then post some REAL pics of what you are dealing with.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
does that stud float in the air ? like the pic shows
Yes- once the wall was opened up I found footer and bottoms of the studs completely rotted. There was zero load on them, so I made a clean cut across. I was considering a ~4-5" concrete footer wall under the studs, with a footer ached atop and studs scabbed to the footer (short ones under the window replaced) as seen in the diagram. Though I question that walls ability to stop the seepage. Water will still be seeping to the wrong (interior) side of the brick. So the concrete wall would likely be a combination of an exterior solution addressing the water. thx-Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Fix my mess: Porch seeping water to interior under brick wall-wall.jpg   Fix my mess: Porch seeping water to interior under brick wall-wallrepair.png  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

what is this ? red line
Attached Thumbnails
Fix my mess: Porch seeping water to interior under brick wall-wall-2.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #5

how about a pic from the outside ...
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #6

idk if i would use concrete. idk of a way to seal it to the slab. so, perhaps a pvc bottom plate with a gasket or caulk under it. and treated wood replacement/scabbed to what is there now.

i wouldn't try to remove the tiles under the brick.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

That's brick- caked with mortar. That seems to be status quo for the mason on the "hidden" side. Detailed graphic below. I can shoot a pic of the outside, but there's not much to see. The joint/junction at the brick wall base and tile surface has been sealed- and still is with a high grade exterior sealant (caulk gun). What appears to be happening is the tile and grout are so old and porous that the water is just using those as a conduit to get in.
Attached Thumbnails
Fix my mess: Porch seeping water to interior under brick wall-wall-detail.jpg  

Last edited by robotico; 10-17-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #8

gotcha, i see it now.

did you :
put a level on the tiles to see if they are graded away from that wall ?
look to see if the water is actually coming in somewhere around that window?
how much space is between the brick and sheathing ?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #9

Back in 1925 it is entirely possible that the grade was proper, but it's not now and the water is pooling there. The porch needs to be retiled, though that is a big project since the porch runs the entire width of the house and is roughly 10ft deep. I would rather remove it and replace it with a normal entry size porch at the front door. That would fix this problem. BUT there is no wall or footer under the slab at the "mess" are in question. So a footer and wall would also need to be built. I probably need to do a cost comparison between trying fix this mess and just addressing the entire porch. Of course I live in a historic district and change the facade of the house may not be acceptable.

No evidence of any water coming in besides right at the junction of the brick and tile. It wicks up into the mortar on the back side of the brick unless there's a lot of water at which point it seeps in and down onto the slab. There's no visual entry points for water on the exterior. There's about 2" between the sheathing and brick.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #10

i wonder if sealing right there on the inside would stop it ? hmmmm

where are you ?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #11

Atlanta. I've got a big hammer drill and masonry bit- I could knock a hole in the lowest point on the porch and put in a drain to send it out the side of the porch. I suppose that's common sense kicking in.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotico View Post
Atlanta. I've got a big hammer drill and masonry bit- I could knock a hole in the lowest point on the porch and put in a drain to send it out the side of the porch. I suppose that's common sense kicking in.
how are you going to get the drain under the slab ?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #13

I can get to it- it's not fun. There's access from the crawl space, through a foundation wall to that area covered by the slab. It's about 3-4 ft high in there.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #14

well, then there ya go. please post some pics as you are doing it, sounds interresting.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #15

Will do. Thanks for collaborating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement