First Timer With A Bathroom Wall Question - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48

Old 07-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

First timer with a Bathroom Wall Question

First time homeowner here.

The bathroom wall in the home I bought had some crappy tileboard covering the bottom half of the wall. I pulled it off and realized that the wall had been tiled before. Instead of properly scraping off the old Tile adhesive, they just covered it with the crappy tileboard.

I want to redo this wall, preferably by tiling the bottom half. My question is, do I need to completely scrape all of the old adhesive off before I can put something new over it? I have scraped off a section of it, and it is pretty time consuming, and some of it does not come off that well. I have seen mention of something called skinning the wall, where you could cover it with something instead of removing it all, but I do not know about that.

If I do need to remove all the old tile adhesive, do you have any recommendations for something to help with that? Home depot does not have any tile adhesive remover(which surprised me) and the ones online seem to have varied reviews.

Also would you recommend patching all of the small holes where the old tileboard was riveted into the walls before tiling? Or would the tiles just cover that with no issue.
Pictures below, any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
First timer with a Bathroom Wall Question-20170726_214114.jpg   First timer with a Bathroom Wall Question-20170726_214119.jpg  
Bones032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,640

Re: First timer with a Bathroom Wall Question

In all honesty, I would cut the rock above the offending holes and pull the bottom half completely off the walls and redo it. It will make the job so much easier. I know it sounds drastic, but scraping patching, skimming is a real PITA>
jlhaslip and joecaption like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,732

Or just cover it with 1/4" backer board.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

you have a mess, I would replace the drywall or at least the bottom half,
ktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,895

Contrary to popular beliefs you can mastic set tile over the old glue. It does consume more glue and can cause lipage if not done carefully.

I would cut the wall board 2" below where I wanted my tile terminate, install new board, not finish it completely just fill all voids and get it smooth. You will need to clean that 2" band.

Be sure to use an approved backer board in any wet areas.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

I concur with the others who suggest removing and replacing the wallboard. The only thing I would suggest differently is replacing the wallboard with 1/2" cement board (wonderboard, durock, etc.). It's a little harder to work with, but unaffected by moisture, and I've found mastic sticks to it better.

If you decide to keep the wallboard, a scraper blade on a reciprocating saw might make getting the glue off go much faster.

Last edited by HotRodx10; 08-24-2017 at 05:42 PM.
HotRodx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement