First Tiling Experience; Completely Remodeling The Shower In RV - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 02-07-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

First Tiling Experience; Completely remodeling the shower in RV

My boyfriend went ahead and put the cement board down for me, but he is not exactly a perfectionist and he was not able to get the screws flush with the cement board, AT ALL.... Like, I would say every one of the screws is sticking up on one side at least by 1/4"... According to him, because the walls are not as sturdy in this RV as they would be in a house, there is no remedy of this problem, except for me to lay the thinset on super super thick and just not push the tiles down as much as I might want to.... is this true? Because my friend came by and checked it out, since she has had some previous experience tiling, and she said that there should be a drill bit he could use to make them go flush, but she wasn't sure exactly what the drill bit necessary was...
I just want to fix this, and I have no clue what I need to get in order to avoid having to tile over this mess....
Also, the screws are not coming out when I'm trying to unscrew them using a drill... So, I'm wondering if I need to somehow grind off all the heads, and just use nails within an inch of each of them to secure the cement board? If so, what can I use to get these screw heads to come off easily/quickly? I have access to all my boyfriends tools, as well as whatever wouldnt cost a fortune at Home Depot, so what are my options?
Thanks!
-Ciara
CiaraNewGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

Re: First Tiling Experience; Completely remodeling the shower in RV

It may be to late now but tile would would have been my last choice for flooring in an RV.
Did he use thin set under the cement board?
When trying to remove the screws are they just spinning, or does the drill just not have enough torque to get them out?
The only way I've been able to get the heads set is to use a counter sink before inserting the screws and I use a an impact driver, not a drill when driving the screws.
Most often the subfloor in an RV is to thin and weak to support tile and the screws needed to pull it down tight.
Dave Sal likes this.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,128

I use Hardy cementitious backer and square drive screws made for the job. No problem setting them but they do push up small bits of the board. I set the screws and scrape off the bumps with a putty knife. A screw that sticks up will catch your trowel and might make a tile rock back and forth. Get rid of that screw.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,088

I would use the small tiles that come in sheets and have a woven fiberglass backing. It will be the least likely to have problems with the flexing of the RV walls and floor.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

joecaption: no, he did not use thinset under the cement board... also, it is a shower that we are tiling in the RV; our flooring in the bathroom I think is also going to be tile, but only directly next to the shower since tile is kind of heavy.
Anyhow-- The screws just spin, they are screwed into a wall that is very thin, and only has styrofoam right behind it, so my boyfriend was basically telling me that is why he couldnt get them to screw in flush, because there isnt much for the screws to bite into... But counter sinking would have been nice, although im wondering if it will be possible to even get these screws back out without a complete headache? He told me to just apply the mud extra thick, and that would make it possible to get the tile to lay evenly. But then my girl friend who has tiled a few showers, said that its actually not really a great idea to put the myd on that thick... so I just dont know how to approach that part of it either haha

Calson: well thats good to hear, becausse it just so happens that is exactly what we have! lol
CiaraNewGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,266

I would use a flat head screw driver or putty knife, something to pull up on the head of the screw as you back it out with the drill. If you've ever drilled a screw into sheetrock and missed the stud...

But I would be more concerned the cement board is not bonding tight if the screws are spinning like that. Your mortar and tile is going to depend on those screws to hold it against the wall for the rest of its life, tight.

If a cement board screw is not making my impact driver work to make it flush, then I'd stop right there and get that resolved. Flush and countersink bits and pre-drilling are not correcting the problem here. Sorry, just my two cents.
timkoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,030

Just my opinion.

I would put it back the same as what came out.
Maybe a little more beefy, but the same.

Never know when you might want to take it down the road.

The doggy in your avatar is so adorable.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement