Finishing Exterior Wall Replacement Window - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Finishing exterior wall replacement window

Hello all,
First time poster. Purchased a 1929 fixer upper in March. Have about 10 weeks to remodel. Aside from being a lot of work, it's going well and really exciting.

One of many projects is taking out the old crusty window sashes in exchange for standard vinyl replacement windows. Installing them was relatively easy and they look great from the inside.

Outside, however, they need to be finished (flashed, trimmed).

To install I had to remove an existing storm window and its aluminum frame. I also had to remove the exterior stops. What I should have down is cut them flush with the casing, but ended up prying them out haphazardly in the zeal of a new project.

What is left on the exterior is a casement with a rough recess where the stops used to be along with some metal wrapped trim.

My thought was to fill in the recess with foam, flash over it, and install a piece of wood that would come flush to the front of the existing metal wrapped trim.

Am I thinking of this correctly? How do I finish this?

Pic 1: After
Pic 2: Before
Mikeofbismarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

Re: Finishing exterior wall replacement window

Update: Researching a little bit more I have found this window style referred to as an "innie". It looks like the framing method would include an extension jamb. The extension jamb concept was the missing puzzle piece for me.

So that leads me to wonder - Do I place the extension jamb right over the rough cavity where the exterior stops used to be? Further, how does one flash this area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

I have never seen a window set in like that. It looks like you have a metal pan under it, did you do that?
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

Little late now, but I would have replaced the window from the inside not the outside like that.
While the window was out the bottom of the side trim, jamb and window stop should have been undercut with a sawzall so the coil stock will side in under the trim and run all the way back to the lip on the sill toward the inside.
Then the window gets installed.
The stops get covered by bending the metal in sort of a lazy Z shape, then the outside trim gets wrapped overlapping the trim on the stops.
The inside is dealt with by adding extenion jambs.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #5

That's actually flashing coming down from the sill. On the inside the window is resting up against the lip of the sill and the interior stops.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Little late now, but I would have replaced the window from the inside not the outside like that.
While the window was out the bottom of the side trim, jamb and window stop should have been undercut with a sawzall so the coil stock will side in under the trim and run all the way back to the lip on the sill toward the inside.
Then the window gets installed.
The stops get covered by bending the metal in sort of a lazy Z shape, then the outside trim gets wrapped overlapping the trim on the stops.
The inside is dealt with by adding extenion jambs.
Ahhh. That makes sense. I see where you are coming from. At the time it made sense to install from the outside pushing the windows directly onto the inside stops and sill. I thought since I had to rip all the aluminum out I would be redoing the whole exterior anyways. So away went the outside stops. I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot. Anyways, 3 windows down, 11 more to go.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

Here is a link of a picture of someone removing the exterior stops closer to how they should be done. Now that I have ripped mine out, should I just foam the recess and put extension jamb wood over it?

Old 04-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 17,890

Not going to like it, but I would start over.
Remove the window, you can insert screws into the outside stops and pop them out with a flat bar and replace them with new ones.
No way would I have used an oscillating Saw saw to cut out the old stops!
If and when you remove the inside stops a flat bar held at an angle driven in with a hammer near the nail will pop them right out.
In most cases I can have an old window out and new one in place in about 15 min. not counting time to add the extention jambs and trim the outside.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not going to like it, but I would start over.
Remove the window, you can insert screws into the outside stops and pop them out with a flat bar and replace them with new ones.
No way would I have used an oscillating Saw saw to cut out the old stops!
If and when you remove the inside stops a flat bar held at an angle driven in with a hammer near the nail will pop them right out.
In most cases I can have an old window out and new one in place in about 15 min. not counting time to add the extention jambs and trim the outside.
Hello Joe,
Thanks for your insights! That's what I'm looking for on the forum. One thing I have been grappling with is the distance between the stops and the interior still. If I install windows up to outside stop location, there is a sizable gap on the interior between the window and the sill. Here is the tutorial I was following.

https://www.lowes.com/projects/build...window/project

I have replicated this method, except for removing the exterior stops instead of clean cutting them. Couldn't I just finish cleaning out the stops, fill the recess with foam, cut the foam level, flash the sides, and put an extension jamb over it that spans from the window to the edge of the trim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement