Exterior Siding Recommendations For Southern Exposure In Northeast Climate - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Question

Exterior Siding recommendations for southern exposure in Northeast climate

We are going to have a total of 7 new windows installed on the longest side of our house along with 2 shorter walls. At the same time, we are going to remove the old rough wooden clapboards. Our initial thought was to install a stained wood shiplap with battens on top for 2 reasons, #1 less maintenance #2 like the barn/farmhouse look since our house was built around 1900 or so. I was two different things by 2 different contractors. First said it would be better than wood clapboards we have now and recommended caulking before adding the battens and using ring shank screws. The 2nd contractor said it was a very bad choice due to the amount of sun we get. I feel like I'm at square one again. He recommended 2 alternatives: use a cedar shake on the top portion and use a primed and stained wood clapboard on the lower half for less maintenance. The other option he said would be to use Boral Truexterior and make it look like a shiplap. My question is longevity for the added expense compared to our original thought. He said we would be wasting our money and the boards will cup/warp and also fade quickly if we go w/wood shiplap? Any advice is appreciated.
AugSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement