Enlarging Window In Brick Facade - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Enlarging window in brick facade

Hello,

I have a problem with some windows and doors that we are cancelling and changing. Here's the situation.

We have a 1960s ranch that was siding, then they went back at some point and put a brick facade over it. We have two exterior doors in this one room, and two small 36"X36" windows. We are remodeling this room, a former carport that was closed in to make a den, into our new master bedroom. So, we want a larger window and to cancel both doors. We think we've figure out how to demo down to the studs, reframe the RO for the window, close in the doors, and then have a mason come back and brick over the exterior. However, the only mason we have in our area that will do the job says he's booked out for 4 weeks, and we have a 4 week deadline for this project (baby is due in 6 weeks!).

So, help me out with order of trades. We were going to have the framing done next week and have the window installed and the mason come fix the brick, coordinating it so that it all gets done within that week. Then we were going to go back with the drywall, tape, bed, texture, window trim, etc. However, since we won't be able to finish the brick for weeks, I'm confused as to how to proceed. It's messing up my timeline, but surely there's a solution. When we had our other windows replaced, he didn't touch the trim or drywall at all, so even in a rough opening situation, I'm wondering if we can continue the inside remodel and wait on the mason. I'm not sure if that means going ahead with the window install, or just putting plywood over the opening until he can get there to do the project. Can anyone help walk me through this please?

Thanks!
rlmeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,260

Re: Enlarging window in brick facade

See if your mason can come and open up the wall and you can set the window and to the finish interior trim.

He can come back and do the finish work later and then you can finish the exterior install. Not perfection when it comes to organizing a work flow, but doable.
Nealtw likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
rlmeals (09-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of weather-proofing. Will this solution take care of water issues if it rains? (And thank you for the reply, by the way!)
rlmeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmeals View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of weather-proofing. Will this solution take care of water issues if it rains? (And thank you for the reply, by the way!)
You will need to have some brick removed before you can re frame the window for a bigger one. But whoever frames and installs the window and closes the door can apply paper or wrap on the outside in a way that it would protect the house until the brick guy closes it up.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
rlmeals (09-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement