Elevated Deck Build - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Elevated Deck Build

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum and need some advice. I currently have an elevated deck that was on the house when I purchased it several years ago. The dimensions are 14' wide and 11' deep. The 2x10 joists are 16" on center, attached to a ledger and has a 24" cantilever/overhang. It is supported by 2 6x6 posts on concrete footings and the height of the deck is about 12' off the ground. The deck is on the back of my house on the left hand side. Now for my project questions.

I want to build an additional elevated deck that will connect to the existing deck but slightly larger at 17' wide x 16' deep. I want to build it very strong. I've been looking up different ways to build it and so far I'm thinking 12x2 joists at 12" on center on 6x6 posts. I was also thinking about attaching it to a ledger like the smaller existing deck, but was wondering if I should put posts under it as well for additional support. I keep looking at pictures of collapsed decks on the Internet that somehow disconnect from the ledger board and it scares the hell out of me. Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Pkoonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #2

I forgot to mention that this deck would also be about 12' off the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 144

I can't believe that the existing 14' wide deck is only supported by the ledger and 2 posts.Don't replicate that.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Pkoonyc (03-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,884

Most of those decks you see that failed where likely not through bolted.
I've seen many a deck with no joist hangers, ledger just lagged to the side of the house or they used lead anchors on block or brick walls, which is a big no no.
Only reason to run floor joist with 12" spacing would be if you where using composite decking ran on a diaganal.
Pkoonyc (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

The existing deck was put up over 20 years ago. When I took up some of the pressure treated decking last spring to replace some of the boards I discovered a host of problems. The joists were no longer attached securely and were pulling away from the ledger. There were no joist hangers at all. I always wondered why the deck shook So much. Thank God I caught this on time. I ran a few more lag bolts to secure the ledger to the house and put joist hangers on everything. I then replaced all the decking with 5/4x4 Ipe. The deck stiffened up immediately. I was actually contemplating putting 6x6 posts right next to the ledger for additional support. I don't really care what it looks like. I just don't want anyone getting hurt. What do you guys think about additional posts?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,344

I would not be worried about the ledger.....but am concerned about what seems to be that span of 14' between posts. If you would feel better doing something about the ledger, and are sure that it is up against something solid like a rim joist, grab a box of ledger locks from the fasteners aisle (right with all of the rest of the deck screws if I remember correctly) and blast then in. Way easier than through bolts or lags since they just go in like any other deck screw. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ront02769 For This Useful Post:
Pkoonyc (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I can't believe that the existing 14' wide deck is only supported by the ledger and 2 posts.Don't replicate that.
How else would you do it???

*I do assume there's a little bit of framing going between/beside the two columns. a 6" column can handle quite a bit of weight, especially if you knee it to said framing
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #8

Ron, my current 14' deck is cantilevered so there are 3 supporting beams screwed together (2x12) underneath all the joists that extend from the house. There is a 24" overhang. The 2 posts that are holding them up are 6x6 wrapped by 2x8's which are all screwed together. The posts from center to center are at 10'. It looks pretty strong to me. I'm just wondering how the 17'x16' one I want to build should be supported. I'm trying to avoid having too many posts protruding from the house as I have a deck underneath as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 144

How else would you do it???

*I do assume there's a little bit of framing going between/beside the two columns. a 6" column can handle quite a bit of weight, especially if you knee it to said framing

I would have added more lateral support.I don't care if it's 6X6 or 12 X 12 a 14' span with 2 X 10's is not acceptable for a deck 12' above grade.What is the live load going to be?
You do know the definition of "assume" don't you?

Last edited by mako1; 03-19-2015 at 11:41 AM.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement