DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (https://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (https://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash? (https://www.diychatroom.com/f15/easy-way-fix-countertop-backsplash-634399/)

Mustardeer 06-27-2018 07:36 PM

Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
3 Attachment(s)
I've had handymen fix it twice but all the water gathers up there and destroys the paint. Looking for an easy fix that will last 2-5 years. Tile won't fit there ( 1.5" space to the wall ). I could buy backsplash but don't want to deal with trying to cut tile. Thought of using wood but not matter how I treat it I'm sure water will destroy it sooner than later. Can I just sand it and cover it with grout or something similar?

Mustardeer 06-27-2018 07:37 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
By the way not trying to fix the sink nor the blue wall, just the disgusting mess around the sink.

Nealtw 06-27-2018 08:27 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Some handy man should have talked you into a new laminate counter top.
Likely would have been cheaper in time and money.

Mustardeer 06-27-2018 08:53 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
So is a laminate counter top the easiest solution?

Mustardeer 06-27-2018 08:54 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
What are a few other ways to remedy this situation?

Nealtw 06-27-2018 09:01 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustardeer (Post 5563359)
What are a few other ways to remedy this situation?

How long is the counter, does it turn corners too?

Mustardeer 06-27-2018 09:04 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
It's long but I'm not worried about the rest of it, just need to fix the area pictured. It's okay if it cuts off, not looking to win remodeling awards.

Nealtw 06-27-2018 09:08 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustardeer (Post 5563369)
It's long but I'm not worried about the rest of it, just need to fix the area pictured. It's okay if it cuts off, not looking to win remodeling awards.

That's not how it works. you want one piece replacement that will last 20 or 30 years.
Others may have suggestions.

Mustardeer 06-27-2018 09:15 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nealtw (Post 5563371)
That's not how it works. you want one piece replacement that will last 20 or 30 years.
Others may have suggestions.

I'll be out of here in 2 years. I'm buying a house. Just need a temp solution. Like I said I'm renting and having landlord fix this is not an option.

chandler48 06-28-2018 04:57 AM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Key word is "renting". Don't do anything to change the countertop, etc. Liability falls directly on your shoulders. Is the countertop painted?? What is it made of?

Mustardeer 06-28-2018 05:50 AM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Owners don't care I can do whatever I want. They won't sue me. Not sure what it's made of, I'm guessing pressed wood. I tried covering it up with white paint it lasted a few months. A few handymen repaired it with I'm guessing silicone it lasted like 3 months each time.

chandler48 06-28-2018 06:50 AM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Quote:

Owners don't care I can do whatever I want.
Do you have it in writing?

Quote:

They won't sue me
Don't bet your life savings on it.

All you can do is sand it down and keep painting it. To do it right will require the replacement of the countertop and reinstalling the old sink or a new one. $$ that you won't recover.

123pugsy 06-28-2018 09:07 AM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Need to chip out some rot first and then fill with epoxy.


Might last a bit longer, maybe a couple of years.

de-nagorg 06-28-2018 09:21 AM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Remove all the old rot, then get a can of auto-body filler ( BONDO), and form a new backsplash, and countertop.

Sand it smooth, and Krylon the thing.


Get a permission from the landlord, and go for it.

Otherwise, get a scratch and dent laminate countertop from a BOX store, and replace the countertop.

My locals sell a " filler" countertop for cheap, and although it is usually an odd color, it is quite well built for a laminate countertop.


As a renter you are liable for anything done by you to the premises, so definitely get permission FIRST.



ED

Mustardeer 06-28-2018 04:45 PM

Re: Easy way to fix this countertop / backsplash?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by de-nagorg (Post 5563673)
Remove all the old rot, then get a can of auto-body filler ( BONDO), and form a new backsplash, and countertop.

Sand it smooth, and Krylon the thing.


Get a permission from the landlord, and go for it.

Otherwise, get a scratch and dent laminate countertop from a BOX store, and replace the countertop.

My locals sell a " filler" countertop for cheap, and although it is usually an odd color, it is quite well built for a laminate countertop.


As a renter you are liable for anything done by you to the premises, so definitely get permission FIRST.



ED

This is what I was looking for. Thanks so much. Hopefully you know what you're talking about.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.