Easy As I Think? Add Exterior Window For Ventilation Between Studs? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 2 Post By ZTMAN

Old 04-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 133

Easy as I think? Add exterior window for ventilation between studs?

We moved into a townhouse in which the lower floors have been finished off for living space from storage space. However, they could use addition of exterior window for ventilation as they are closed rooms. Walls are wood framed and above grade all around. Is it going to be easy for a contractor to put in one or two skinny (prob. custom made) windows between the studs for me? Not really concerned with light or appearance as they will come out recessed under a deck...just want to get some ventilation in, otherwise will resort to ventilation duct work to exterior.

I guess I need to know this before presenting paperwork to the strata for approval.

Thanks for any tips.

(Really is is spelled hasenpfeffer, I know.)
Hossenfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,796

Re: Easy as I think? Add exterior window for ventilation between studs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossenfeffer View Post
We moved into a townhouse in which the lower floors have been finished off for living space from storage space. However, they could use addition of exterior window for ventilation as they are closed rooms. Walls are wood framed and above grade all around. Is it going to be easy for a contractor to put in one or two skinny (prob. custom made) windows between the studs for me? Not really concerned with light or appearance as they will come out recessed under a deck...just want to get some ventilation in, otherwise will resort to ventilation duct work to exterior.

I guess I need to know this before presenting paperwork to the strata for approval.
Some times there are conditions where the lower wall is a stress wall and an engineer would have to approve. Little changes can get nuts when you dig into the details.

Thanks for any tips.

(Really is is spelled hasenpfeffer, I know.)
The hardest part it the strata approval.
Mike Milam likes this.

Last edited by Nealtw; 04-13-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,822

What is your concern, that often present musty basement smell?

A window would only address ventilation when the weather permits. Very cold and very hot/humid you don't want a window down there open. Do you have ac and forced hot air?

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
What is your concern, that often present musty basement smell?

A window would only address ventilation when the weather permits. Very cold and very hot/humid you don't want a window down there open. Do you have ac and forced hot air?

Bud
No,you are wrong. Ventilation and fresh air will always help a room that was formerly closed. Even cold winter air (which is very dry) will pull the mustiness from the room. And the breezes during finer weather will help with circulation of the air and move it out of the room. And this room happens to be in a climate zone where weather permits ventilation year round. You must remember that you house is designed to leak air....and have it moved around and refreshed. If your house is air tight you need an actual device to exchange the air.
Hossenfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,822

I was asking for more information so I could draw some conclusions but sounds like you already know all you need.

Best
Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 282

I have been under a lot of decks. Not much "fresh" air under there.

Doesn't really make sense what you are proposing.
Bud9051 and Nealtw like this.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,316

Should be a pretty easy job. I myself would pay about $200.00 if I ordered the window.

They will be very narrow windows with glass area about about 5 to 6 inches wide.
On the plus side solves any security concern of someone trying to come in that way.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,746

I wouldn't settle for a tiny window just to avoid cutting a stud and putting in a little header. It's not that big a deal, in fact what you save by getting a standard window might pay for the header work. Shop craigslist or a surplus-windows place if there is one in your vicinity for good deals.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement