Drywall To Hardie Backer Transition - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Str8AheadInc

Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Drywall to Hardie Backer transition

I am remodeling a bathroom and am tile the tube surround. I demoed the existing tile to find the framing does not butt up to the bathtub. When I initially tried to install the hardie backer, it didn't cover the lip of the tub. I furred the wall out so that the backer board would cover the tub lip. This in turn caused about a 1/2 inch difference between the drywall transition and the backer board (backer board sticking out further). I am trying to figure out how to properly tile the tub surround so that the transition looks professional. Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about this transition?
ctremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Pro-Am Construction Slave

Rewards Points: 6

Re: Drywall to Hardie Backer transition

Could use tile with a quarter round edge to go over the hump. That was what was originally in the bathroom I'm finishing.
Big Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
Professional

Rewards Points: 188

The tile backer does not get installed over the lip of the tiling flange. Instead the tile backer should be installed 1/8" above the flange and then the area between is filled with hot mud. This prevents wicking. You then would not have the current issue. I recommend pulling your furring strips and trying this, then you can just tape the joint at the backer/drywall interface. Good luck with your project!
Nealtw likes this.
Str8AheadInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

I find it better to rest my cbu on top of the flange, leaving the gap below with the vapor barrier over the flange, cut off flush to the curve. That keeps the cbu flat on your studs and your tile will jump the 3/8" or so gap between the tub and the cbu. It totally prevents wicking, far better than trying to fill the gap with anything. I seldom caulk the tub-to-tile joint too, as it allows any water to drain, preventing another cleaning area with poorly applied or inferior sealant. No mold, no ugly, no water wicking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement