Driveway/Patio/Path Gravel Redo - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree

Old 02-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Driveway/Patio/Path Gravel Redo

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade the look of out concrete driveway, back patio, and garden path. I am cost limited (my dream is to rip it all out and start over) so gravel appeals to me. I am wondering if we can layer gravel on top of the concrete with wooden limit edging to contain the sides? It seems plausible when it comes to leveling out uneven areas with gravel, but I have doubts because the back patio has only about 3-4 inches from the threshold of the back door to ground level (it slants and gets lower in places), and because I am not sure how to contain the pea gravel at the end of the driveway where it meets the street (dont want mess for HOA or neighbors) (or us). The main problem with the concrete in the driveway is also that tree roots (huge pine trees in our area) cause the concrete to crack and it’s already been redone once and looks horrible. I want to redo it with something that cannot crack (ie gravel) and will look more laid back than concrete but still beautiful. Other than this, I am looking to make things more beautiful in our new home! It was built in the 70’s (a relic!) but it is new to us and we just love it and want to make something we will enjoy for years, where kids can play, etc. Any help?

Thank you,
EH
CreatorEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 01:57 AM   #2
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,816

Re: Driveway/Patio/Path Gravel Redo

I'd bet if you have an HOA you have to have concrete. You can't prevent gravel from getting in the street - the tires will push it, washout, etc. It will also carry over the side edging - its inevitable.

Do not put it over concrete. Also, pea gravel is not a good surface for cars or even walking. Because it's round, it will move too much. Better choice is chipped or crushed media with fines (dust). It will interlock and be more stable. But there is a science to installing a proper sub-base for your pretty topcoat gravel, and it would involve breaking up the concrete.

Just food for thought, any kid I know loves to play in rocks: throwing them, building piles, bringing them inside, pouring them in open pipes . . . .
Bondo likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Driveway/Patio/Path Gravel Redo

Quote:
I'd bet if you have an HOA you have to have concrete.
That's probably right not to mention a list of other regulations. HOAs are PITAs.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement