Doorless Double Doorway Into Bedroom - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Doorless double doorway into bedroom

I have just moved into an apartment that has a double doorway leading from the living room into the bedroom I share with my toddler daughter. We'll soon have a roommate renting the second bedroom.

I want something in our bedroom doorway that provides privacy and blocks some sound --enough to be able to have a quiet phone conversation or tête-à-tête with my roommate in the living room while my little one is sleeping.

My single-mama budget is tight, and I live in a place where secondhand home interior items aren't readily available. Any ideas for me?

I've thought of thick curtains, but I'm not sure they'd block much sound at all, unless I can seal the curtains on top, bottom and both sides.

Thanks for your insight and ideas!
movering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 02:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Suggest for you to talk to your Landlord about this. If you are having a roommate to help pay the bills. Now is a good time to sit down with the Landlord, before the new contract is signed.

The only way to do it, would be to install a door in the opening. Doing so can void your contract with the owner or management of the building.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 05:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

I have permission to make the changes. I'm looking for ideas of a solution that won't cost a lot. I might install a door in the end -- just want to consider creative options.
movering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Build a wall with a rough opening to allow for a Fiberglass door with Fiberglass insulation inside of it to help cut down on the noise. You can also place weatherstripping around the outside edge, to further help cut down on any noise.

As for attaching the wall to close up the opening, it depends if they will allow you to use screws into the sides to hold the 2x4's or 2x6's, depending on the width of the wall at the opening.

Measure the opening, take out the 33" width for the rough opening of the door, same thing with the height, subtract an inch for rough height.

You will need lumber, Drywall, Roxwoool Insulation to place into the wall cavity to help cut down on noise, and door. Do not forget to also include a door sweep to help cut down on any noise that may come through at the bottom. Also will need Sand Paper, Primer, Paint, tape measure, Level.

For the framing, you will need a "Chop Saw", I would use Screws to assemble, so you will need a power screw driver, and for the drywall you will need tape, mud, screws, five sheets of 5/8" Drywall, since most places hardly stock 1/2", because it is cheaper for the 5/8".

If you do not have a pick up, you can usually rent one or have a friend with one go pick up the materials and then help you carry them into your apartment.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement