Dealing With Mold In Rotten Studs. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ZZZZZ
  • 1 Post By SPG43
  • 2 Post By SPG43

Old 10-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

dealing with mold in rotten studs.

I have recently been trying to fix up a home I am living in but I keep running into the same problem filth mold and rotten studs. I know I might sound down asking this but what is the best way of going about fixing this issue when I run into it and this current one. Should I be concerned for my health and if so what precautions should I take I'm very new to dealing with sutch a mess.also the house has asbestos and lead paint i beleave.
Attached Thumbnails
dealing with mold in rotten studs.-20161029_072502_1477749323225.jpg  
padraic210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,260

Re: dealing with mold in rotten studs.

Use proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment - i.e. dust masks) and I would treat the areas in question as you open them up for demo. Then remove them a day later.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,158

If you've got mold, lead paint, and especially asbestos, there are definite hazards to your health.

Asbestos needs to be removed by a professional company. It's not a DIY job.

In many jurisdictions, if asbestos is discovered during a remodel, you are required to report it to the health dept and they may seal off the house until it is remediated.
Windows on Wash likes this.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 10-29-2016 at 09:25 AM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
If you've got mold, lead paint, and especially asbestos, there are definite hazards to your health.

Asbestos needs to be removed by a professional company. It's not a DIY job.

In many jurisdictions, if asbestos is discovered during a remodel, you are required to report it to the health dept and they may seal off the house until it is remediated.
Totally miss the later part. Good catch ZZZZZ.

Asbestos and Lead are not DIY friendly items unless you know what you are doing.

Please feel free to hire some of this stuff out if you aren't 1000% sure of your procedures and limitations.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

Thanks guys,, wasn't quite what I was hoping for but I least solar honest so I'm basically screwed without harming myself or paying somebody professional. So this is most definitely not the kind of work to be doing on a house you're living in? I believe the house was a flip and they just covered up everything constantly running into problems its a nightmare. And just the top it off in has a federal Pacific breaker panel with stab lock breakers which I just read such horrible things about.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 142

Where there is rot, there is water. Have you figured out if the water issue has been solved? No point in replacing rot if you don't stop the water from getting in there.
joecaption likes this.
SPG43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #7

I believe I found the source of the moisture that caused this damage. There is a brick flower bed attached to the house. I believe water was slowly coming in from one of the corners of the flower bed into this closet wall.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,458

Bleach, vinegar are two things that can kill mold spores. Once they evaporate mold can come back. Only way to keep the mold away is to keep it dry. The rot is from bacteria and again keep it dry. I'd remove the flower bed, check the side for any means of water path, then finally grade the ground sloping away from the side. You may not see the obvious water path. Compromised brick joint and even tar paper underneath can let enough water/moisture in and rot wood over time.
For the rotted frame, if it is not load bearing, some cases I leave it as is - as long as I'm sure it will remain dry. I add full stud or some pieces for nailer. If it moves when I lean into it, then it needs a sister that is anchored. You don't always need a plate, esp in a retrofit. Cut out the plate and anchor the stud (use pt) to the foundation/solid framing with screws, angles, plates, whatever works.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 142

Skip the bleach, vinegar and all that...just use the Concrobium stuff you can get at HD. It works a lot better, prevents future mold regrowth, and doesn't stink up the place like bleach and vinegar.
MTN REMODEL LLC and ZZZZZ like this.
SPG43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,158

Again, asbestos is a much bigger problem that most molds. That's more serious and more expensive to remediate.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 11-03-2016 at 03:00 PM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement