Cutting Legs On Metal Loft Beds - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred73#
  • 2 Post By Fred73#

Old 02-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #1

Cutting legs on metal loft beds

Hi everyone! My teen daughters have matching metal loft beds. Now that they are older and taller, they haven't the room to sit on their beds without knocking their heads on the ceiling. I would like to know how and with what to cut the legs shorter on the beds to give them more space. I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing, but mom here needs to show these girls that I can do it! any suggestions?
Nealtw likes this.
Fred73# is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,612

Re: Cutting legs on metal loft beds

Tools: Hack saw or reciprocating saw with a metal blade. Method: cut each leg off equally. Remember a 3 legged stool is stable no matter if the legs are unequal. May not be flat, but stable. Four legs, you enter a different arena, for if one leg is off it will wobble. So it is very important that you take them off equally. What sort of bottom do the legs have? Cushions, plastic plugs? You will need something to allow them to rest on the floor without damaging the covering of the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,770

As Chandler said, you need to have a pad or plug on the bottom, perhaps a picture would help us. In some cases the foot protection can be removed and re-inserted after cutting.

As for a tool, my preference would be a jig saw and there are many to choose from, but it can be used on wood or other material and is a very safe power tool to use.

A selection of blades and perhaps a metal file to clean up the edges.

And welcome to the forum Fred (mom?)

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,502

If they are round pipe legs, you could rent a pipe cutter, hand tool. The guy at the rental store would show you how they work.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

How long are the legs, on the bed? As fast as children grow, their legs are going to match that height quickly. How about platform beds?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #6

Hi all! thanks for the welcome. Fred is a nickname my dad stuck on me at birth. I am a mother of 3. lol. I appreciated the feedback you gave. I will have to check the legs on the beds, I believe they have a rubber/plastic stopper on them. I did think about needing some type of bottom on them after cutting them off. The legs are square a few inches wide. Your suggestions make sense I just wanted to verify what I had in mind to use before I tackled this, lol. thanks!
Bud9051 and Nealtw like this.
Fred73# is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement