Cutting Door Trim On Crooked Walls And Close Doors - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

Cutting door trim on crooked walls and close doors

Any one have any tips for getting two pieces of door trim together in a corner like this? I was thinking running a 45 in the corner on both edges unless they make something for it?

Aslo any tips for ripping a door trim piece for a door that's close to a crooked wall? If I rip it straight there is a large gap in the middle. I need to just cut it with a circ saw i guess?
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting door trim on crooked walls and close doors-photo-aug-25-9-55-46-pm.jpg   Cutting door trim on crooked walls and close doors-photo-aug-25-9-55-40-pm.jpg  
bhollehday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

You must be really good with a circular saw to rip a 7 foot. 45 degree angle. I'd use a table saw with a fence.
How wide are those spaces?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You must be really good with a circular saw to rip a 7 foot. 45 degree angle. I'd use a table saw with a fence.
How wide are those spaces?
Your confused. Ive got two situations. One with two close doors (1.5" from each other but my door trim around the house is a little over 2"), which ill rip with a fence at a 45 im thinking. And another that needs to be ripped, but the wall is crooked. So the middle needs more meat than the top or bottom. So I was looking for tips or tricks, but maybe just ripping it straight as close as you can get it and then filling in with silicone is the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

The crooked wall solution is simple You scribe the molding using a compass. It will pencil the irregularities onto the molding. You tube should have a video. Usually a jig saw is good for this.
Use a latex, not silicone caulk to fill the gaps. Assuming you're painting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
bhollehday (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The crooked wall solution is simple You scribe the molding using a compass. It will pencil the irregularities onto the molding. You tube should have a video. Usually a jig saw is good for this.
Use a latex, not silicone caulk to fill the gaps. Assuming you're painting.
Exactly what i was looking for!! Your awesome man Found the videos and ill give that a try witha jig saw I suppose (need to buy one) or maybe a careful circ haha

Now about those tight door trim corners. I assume best thing to do is cut a 45 on the ends that they meet? And use caulking to clean it up? When do you use silicone caulking? Latex is the printable and water cleanup stuff?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

The corner trims ---you are right--miter them----make a sample before you cut the final trim----
Old 08-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhollehday View Post
When do you use silicone caulking? Latex is the printable and water cleanup stuff?
You use silicone in areas that will not be painted. Bathrooms, kitchens. On the exterior of the house.
Just do a search for, "silicone caulking uses"
Latex is paintable/water cleanup.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

For the miter corners, the easiest way to get a good fit is to cut all three pieces, assemble on the ground, install the entire trim set as a unit. Then you don't have to fill the miters. You may need to shave part of the trim after installation, usually easily done with a plane or by sanding.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,873

I suggest a table saw as a better safer option. I can't imagine achieving and accuracy with a hand held saw,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement